Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
I haven`t heard many good things about the masterpower turbos..heard they spooled slow because of the impellers being too heavy

·
Registered
179 Posts
MP turbo thread @ turbomustangs.com

Check this thread out.

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=74174.0

That thread has some good info in it. The MP turbos may not be the best, but they are cheap. They upgraded the size of the shaft (maybe they used that stuff always advertised in the spam email ... ) and have had a higher rate of reliability since.

There are some reliability issues with other manufacturer's turbos. I was undecided if I was going to go with the MP T70, or the Garrett 4088. Well after doing some research on the web it seems the 4088 has some serious reliability issues that stem from poor choice of materials for the turbines and housings (google it, there are plenty of threads out there about this topic). The 4088 is not to be confused with the 4088r also.

I'm just saying that you should do your homework before buying a particular turbo (check out turbomustangs.com ... ). Just because a company has a good rep doesn't mean that they still don't make a few duds every now and then. I'm also not saying that MP is an amazing turbo company, but there are plenty of people out there running their turbos and happy with them. Some people running the MP T70 say they see 8-10psi by 3000rpm. I 'believe' there are a few people running in the 9's with them, and there are plenty of people with lots of miles on them.

As for me I plan on running one of the MP T70's when I get back to the States next year. It may not spool as fast as a Garrett ball-bearing, but it will be good enough for my street car + make more than enough power to split my stock block.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts