Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the mass air meters in the 99+ stangs controlled by the comp not the meter? Talking about the Fuel injector size. Say I have a 2001 Cobra I wanna put a 90mm lightning mass air metere can I program the comp to see the 90mm mass air but runs 24lb injectors and not 42lb? Am I making sense?
Could I use the C&L Mustang GT 80mm mass air meter On a 2001 Cobra?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
You need to understand that the Mass Air Meter tells the computer how much air volume is entering the engine. The sensor is just that, a sensor. Matter of fact it really doesn't even read air volume it reads resistance through 2 wire coils found in the MAF sample tube. The resistance of the coils goes down as the air flow increases, this is because cooler wires have less resistance there fore supply more voltage. Voltage readings are a product of resistance and current. Read up on Ohm's law if you're really serious about knowing how the MAF works. You can use any MAF you'd like, small/big, with just about any injector, you just need to have a custom chip burned and MAF calibrated with the proper injector size. It's all about defining the terms to the chip in the computer. You can't just "throw" stuff at the cpu and expect it to inherently know how it all works.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Well if you wanna be real "technical"....MAF's are not calibrated to injectors. If you want it done right...injector size is put into the EEC along with MAF transfer function. Having a "maf calibrated for bigger injectors" is just a bandaid.

Sebastian

·
Administrator
1,464 Posts
Custom2kGt said:
..snip.. Matter of fact it really doesn't even read air volume it reads resistance through 2 wire coils found in the MAF sample tube. The resistance of the coils goes down as the air flow increases, this is because cooler wires have less resistance there fore supply more voltage...snip...
Actually this isn't really right either. The MAF meter measures voltage using two wires. The "ambient air temperature" wire is located outside the moving airstream. It operates at the temperature of the ambient air stream.

The second wire is located inside the actual air stream and is called the "hot wire sensor." This wire is heated to a temperature of 200 degrees Celcius above the AMBIENT air temperature.

So if it's 40 degrees celsius outside the hot wire will be 240 deg. C.

As soon as air begins flowing over the two wires they are both cooled and the computer applies more voltage to keep the hot wire at the original temperature differential of 200 deg C. As air speed increases so too does the voltage needed to keep the wire at 200 deg C above ambient air. This voltage differential is what the mass air meter is reading.

"Cooling depends on the on the mass of the intake air and on its temperature so no additional corrections are needed. MAF input signals to control module are directly related to intake air mass."
-Probst - Fore Fuel Injection and electronic engine control

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So what it comes down to is I can put the Lightning MASS Air meter on my Cobra just have to recalibrate the comp for the 90mm mass air?

·
Registered
12 Posts
yes, just make sure you go with someone that has done the computer work before, i went with superchips but had a lot of trouble with them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts