Ford Mustang Forums banner

Maryland Safety Inspection

5K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  cobraguy95 
#1 ·
Hey Guys, I just moved to maryland and bought a mustang from a guy in Conn. so I have to get a safety inspection done. This car is largely stock. It does have shorties, off road h pipe, and cat back. Plus it has a cold air kit. I just had two local shops tell me that I have to put the exhaust back to stock and pull the cold air kit before they will give me a safety inspection!?!?Oh, and they said I have to take my tint, which isn't even dark off. Say it aint so. I already have to pay tax and tag on the SOB. Does anyone know a good place that won't dick me over near Carroll county?

#2 ·
yea im in charles county and the retard that did my inspection made me put my converter h-pipe back on, rip off my tint, take out the clear corner markers, but i slid by on my CAI, and to top it all off the old tires were starting to dry-rot and crack and he passed them!

#3 ·
Aghhh!!!

Don't tell me that. I have clear side markers too. I didn't even think that would be a problem. If there was a decent place in Charles County that would work too. My territory for work is Charles County.

#4 ·
Only the off orad H pipe should have to come off...the catback and the shorties should be 50 state legal and should not be an issue. See if there are any carb EO's on the parts, or get the PN's and look them up online.

The lights should fail...but they probably won't bother with them.

Could see if Mt.Airy motors/Total Performance still does inspections, they are also a speed shop.

The guy that did my inspection on my wagon failed it for a small PS leak and didn't notice that the idler arm was completely shot and had 1" of play in the steering... LOL

#5 ·
Called Mt. Airy Motors/ Total Performance

I called them this morning. I talked to two people there, including the guy who does the inspections. Both seemed very cool. I go in next Thursday. Hopefully they won't make me pull everything off of the car I just bought and spent 800 bucks on A/C. I'm tired of spending money on stuff that I don't want. I still can't believe what a-holes the state of MD inpection people are. Don't even get me started on the MVA. I told my wife after our second trip to the Westminster office ,where we got absolutely nothing accomplished, I want a vanity plate on one of our cars that reads MVA SUX. You think that they would go for that?

#6 ·
LOL that is funny...

Um yea i would suggest Mt Airy performance or come down to damascus and go to Main Street Performance...

The clear corners will pass as long as you have yellow/amber bulbs in.

the rest of the exhaust as stated above will pass except for the mid pipe.

I have never heard of a CAI failing but who knows i mean those guys were idiots and told you to put the stock catback back on.

Good Luck Man

#9 ·
im in eldersburg, i took my car to the place behind napa on liberty rd and they made me take the tint off. i was pressed to get the car on the road but you can have the state police check the tint by appointment, if they say it dont have to come off its ok. they even made change my silverstar headlight bulbs and the guy that inspected my car said he has the same bulbs.

#11 ·
that place that you went to in Eldersburg behing Napa is called C & A Automotive. My insurance agent said he had done an inspection there. Wouldn't go as far as to vouch for them, but said that he had a decent experience. He doen't drive a Mustang either. So, I called them. The guy I talked to couldn't have been more of a dick. He was one of the shops that said everything essentially has to be returned to stock. What an ass!

#12 ·
Md Inspections

The state of Md. is a little silly when it comes to inspections.
If the car came with Conn tags and they were registered to you then you dont have to get it inspected you just have to pay to transfer the tags to md. Please take the tint all the way off and then take the car to another place to have it inspected. You dont want the Md state police looking at your car. They tend to get anal about car inspections. Md is hard on window tinting. Exhaust systems, wide tires rear lights and any add on lights that they feel are distracting. The good thing is that you only have to get the car inspected one time.

#13 ·
35th anniv stang; "If the car came with Conn tags and they were registered to you then you dont have to get it inspected you just have to pay to transfer the tags to md"

not true, any car that is bought or brought into the state has to have a state inspection, plus they have to pay md taxes on the vehicle.

#17 ·
without having the tint looked at and certified by the state police before the inspection. they will tell you to pull all of it off, they dont care if the tint is legal or not. my 92 had the legal 35% and had to remove it all. i didnt have the time to wait to have the tint looked at, so i just pulled it off. im going to have my coupe done after i have it inspected.

#18 ·
I'm in Sykesville also. I just purchased a 2001 Gt from California and needed it inspected.
I just dropped it off at Woodbine Motorsports to get it inspected this morning. JJ (the owner) said he knew an inspector that would be fair. I'm suppose to pick it up in a couple hours, so I will report back on how it goes.
- I have dark tint, exhaust, and lowered susp.

Too bad its a little late, but I had the tag and title work done at "Terry's tag and title service" in Finksburg. I HIGHLY recommend anybody that needs tags or state title to use them. I had my title and hard tags in 10min. No bullsht and no MVA wait. It saved me a whole day of grief

#22 ·
Dropped off car at Mt. Airy Motors/ Total Performance

I dropped my car off this morning. I talked to these guys a couple of times on the phone. Even went as far as to talk to the inspector. Everyone seems pretty cool. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'll let you guys know the results as soon as I hear from them.

#23 ·
INSPECTION UPDATE

Well, I guess there just insn't any way of not getting hosed on a MD state inspection. I'm going to have to spend over $1000.00 on getting my car to pass. Mind you, this is not a beater. Anyone who has looked at the pics I uploaded to the gallery can see that this is a very clean LX. They said the tint has to come out. The passenger's side door handle is loose and must be replaced. My windshield wipers work, but they are out of sync a little bit. They must be replaced. They said that the reverse light doesn't work. Funny, it worked this past week. The clear side markers must be removed. Of course the H-pipe failed. That didn't surprise me. No cats. the plug wires aren't secured, so that has to be fixed. I don't know if thats everything or not. They are supposed to fax me the laundry list of crap that has to be fixed. Lets see, 1000 dollars for TFS heads or an inspection sticker...I'll take the friggin' sticker.

#24 ·
All that can be taken care of for a lot less than $1000.00. The windshield wipers have me confused unless the motor needs replacing, still not a big deal. The door handle is held in by rivets and perhaps one has come loose if not 5.0 resto sells door handle kits for this cheap. Side markers are cheap, I may have some stock ones lying around that will pass, I'll take a look, if not $30 from CJ pony parts. The back up lights could just be a loose connection and solved with needle nose pliers. The tint is just time for removal and a PITA more than anything. Let me know if you want some help!

#25 ·
cobraguy95 said:
Well, I guess there just insn't any way of not getting hosed on a MD state inspection. I'm going to have to spend over $1000.00 on getting my car to pass. Mind you, this is not a beater. Anyone who has looked at the pics I uploaded to the gallery can see that this is a very clean LX. They said the tint has to come out. The passenger's side door handle is loose and must be replaced. My windshield wipers work, but they are out of sync a little bit. They must be replaced. They said that the reverse light doesn't work. Funny, it worked this past week. The clear side markers must be removed. Of course the H-pipe failed. That didn't surprise me. No cats. the plug wires aren't secured, so that has to be fixed. I don't know if thats everything or not. They are supposed to fax me the laundry list of crap that has to be fixed. Lets see, 1000 dollars for TFS heads or an inspection sticker...I'll take the friggin' sticker.

Good grief...Never had issues like that with them...Sorry 'bout that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.