Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tired of the crappy fit,finish and the fact the one i have isnt big enough!Plus the fact i like to do all my own stuff,and i figured i'd saving myself atleast $500!So i took a stock steel foxbody hood and i am making my own cowl hood.It's a 4" cowl and is all steel.This way i can use the stock latching system and will clear my engine!I made templetes and then cut out my owm pieces out of sheet metal to raise the cowl.It isnt all that heavy and this is the fab point of it.I need to bondo where nessary and smooth it all out,then prime and paint it!LMK what ya think so far?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not yet, but i havent got that far yet.But it actually is pretty rigid..

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Yes reinforcement. You're mistaken if you think a piece of sheet metal with that much surface area is not going to deflect at highway speeds without some sort of small stock welded across the middle of it.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went up and did a little more work on it.Ran out of bondo,but cut out the full amount of the cowl.Here is what it looks like on the underside.Still need to deside what i'll do for support or if any is needed and also how or what to do to clean it up some.Heres the pics for now till i get up to bens and bondo more on thursday.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes reinforcement. You're mistaken if you think a piece of sheet metal with that much surface area is not going to deflect at highway speeds without some sort of small stock welded across the middle of it.
You might be right?But then you also might be surprised?Either way i will bolt it on and see?If so then yes i still have what i cut out and might be able to reinstall that or figure out something?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seen these on the summit cover feature car.I like the ideal of the supports in his cowl

·
Registered
623 Posts
that is awesome
did you take a stock hood, cut out the inner supports, then cut hood along the two factory lines on the topside of the hood, starting 6 inch from the front and going all the way to the back, then lift that up 4inchs, then fill in gaps with sheetmetal?

that about right?

seems like you'd have to extend the center section, cowl, like an quarter or half inch to make up for the length you lost while raising it?

anyway, looks great, like how is begins lifting much earlier in the front compared to most fiberglass 4inch hoods.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Went and spent a few more hours on it today

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
that is awesome
did you take a stock hood, cut out the inner supports, then cut hood along the two factory lines on the topside of the hood, starting 6 inch from the front and going all the way to the back, then lift that up 4inchs, then fill in gaps with sheetmetal?

that about right?

seems like you'd have to extend the center section, cowl, like an quarter or half inch to make up for the length you lost while raising it?

anyway, looks great, like how is begins lifting much earlier in the front compared to most fiberglass 4inch hoods.
Yeah in a sence thats what i/we did....Didnt you use to live in washingon state??????????????

·
Registered
623 Posts
Yeah in a sence thats what i/we did....Didnt you use to live in washingon state??????????????
thanks, thats exactly the type/shape/material cowl I want, already have a 2 1/2in FG lift-off but I might have to copy what you did here some day:salute:

oh and I think your thinking of "NWJason" (think thats his user name) since him in me are the only motorcycle stunters on here.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Making the crease straight and crisp has got to be a PITA. I'm reserving judgement until I see the finished product, no offense, in fact, I wouldn't even attempt it.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Making the crease straight and crisp has got to be a PITA.
actually, that will be easy, making a rounded angle is much harder than a straight one. Hard work is done, now its just the tedious work of bondoing, sanding, sanding, ", ", wet sanding, painting, wet sanding. ugh I hate bodywork.

cant wait to see the finished result :salute:

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah i always #### up body work.I'm not a body guy but i fab/weld.Hopefully today it will be in primer!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Between weather no motivation and going to montana for a little bit.It's not in primer.I did do more work monday and today with the help of my buddy.Going tomorrow to get more done.Few more pics

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
Pretty amusing...

How do you have time to do things like that? I'm quite jealous, it is terribly painful for me to keep my car up to race every few weeks!

Building a hood from scratch, nuts...

You will have to do the math when you are done and let us know how much each hour of time saved you towards that $500 hood....this doesn't look like five minutes of work...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts