Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went through a really poor experience with a local machine shop so I'm in a bind and need a short block for my project. I'm considering a mail order short block as an option. I'm just looking to do a hci 302/306 with an Anderson n41 cam, TFS 170's and an RPM 2 intake in front of my T5 with 4:10's. I heard to stay far away from DSS and saw that overall CHP seemed to have a positive reputation? I did some digging and it looks like they moved or have new management? Has anyone dealt with them recently since then whether good or bad? Any other places to look into? My other option is to try and find a decent Explorer engine in a junkyard and re-ring and bearing it.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Subbing. I often find myself looking at CHP website, mainly short blocks and long blocks.

Curious to see what others say.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I did a quick look at reviews on that company a while back and the limited ones I did find were not that great.

If you are just looking for a stock shortblock to put your HCI on what about one from your local auto parts store. I have purchased a few of the Pro-torque engines from my local O'Reilly with great success plus they have like a 3 yr unlimited mileage warranty. I also have heard alot of good things about CHP.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Old timer
5,709 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
I don't know who to go for if you are looking for a low dollar stock style rebuild.

For a mid budget engine I would go with either FordStrokers or ZSR.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
FWIW I have had good luck with dss.

For what you are doing, I would keep my eyes open for a low mile long or short block locally. I’m currently running an under 80k mile short block in my 91 gt and pulled a lower mile short from my wagon that may go into my 82 gt.

They are out there is you can find an honest seller.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I've been looking around locally for stock stuff with no luck so far.

However, I ran into an acquaintance yesterday. He has a brand new DSS stock block 347 that's still sealed up and has been collecting dust. He sold the car it was going to go in awhile ago so his wife wants everything cleaned out. I can get it for a very good deal. Is there anything I should particularly be on the look out for when I go to check it out?

Also, when I have a bigger budget set aside and it's time to really make some power I'm going with a Ford Strokers built short block. It's just not in the cards at the moment.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I've been looking around locally for stock stuff with no luck so far.

However, I ran into an acquaintance yesterday. He has a brand new DSS stock block 347 that's still sealed up and has been collecting dust. He sold the car it was going to go in awhile ago so his wife wants everything cleaned out. I can get it for a very good deal. Is there anything I should particularly be on the look out for when I go to check it out?

Also, when I have a bigger budget set aside and it's time to really make some power I'm going with a Ford Strokers built short block. It's just not in the cards at the moment.

If it truly is new, unwrap it and look for any rust as moisture and plastic wrap are not a good combo without proper storage prep. Oh and a receipt that matches lol

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Toby, who worked for me at CHP, and Martin, who worked for me at CHP, and their engine builder Tony, who worked for me at CHP.....have actually greatly improved the engine program that I had at CHP.

If you wander through their shop, it pretty much looks like CHP five years ago. There is no reason to ever be nervous about that group.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts

The problem with any of the companies building stock blocks is finding a block that isn't cracked. CHP, and Jim for that matter, won't build a stock block motor anymore. You have to do through 50 blocks to get a good one. Some companies just build them anyhow.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts