Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a mechanic install my Magnaflow X w/cats today. As you may know, I installed a Magnaflow catback a few days ago. Here's what I found...

- The x pipe made the car a little louder, but it didn't make as much sonic difference as when I first put on the catback with the stock H pipe.

- Overall, the system is moderately loud (I think it's just about right!)

- The sound quality of the system is about the same as with the stock H and Magnaflow catback below 3,000 rpms.

- It sounds deepest at about 2,100rpms (60-65mph with my 4.10s)

- From 3,000 rpms up, the tone changes to more of a high pitched wail, a little more like an Indy car sound. It sounds real nice.

- There is a noticeable performance increase from 4,000 rpms to redline. The car DEFINATELY pulls harder. I would say the figures of 10-12hp seems about right.

- The X pipe made a bigger improvement in HP then the catback did, according to my SOTP meter :)

- I love the system.

- I can't wait to get to the track this Friday.

Hope at least someone finds this of interest.

Jeff

·
Registered
235 Posts
Would you have gone with the magnapack? Or would you think it would be loud as hell?

I got a 2001 GT and i'm now looking into a maganflows x-pipe with magnapacks.

I don't want to get the maganflows because people (including yourself) say that its sound just a bit louder than stock and I don't want to spend the money on something for just a little louder than stock. I have welded flowmaster on my stock h-pipe and it's pretty loud for just the mufflers.

Ayways, I was wondering, would you think if I go with a catted x-pipe and the magnapacks, would the sound be just right? as oppose to getting a off-road x-pipe with magnapacks? I'm debating between and off-road x-pipe or catted x-pipe for one simple reason, SOUND.

I don't mind loud but I don't want to get pulled over by the cops everyday because I already got stop once for my welded flowmaster.

Thanks

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trust me, it's definately louder than stock :) Don't worry about that. It's not even close.

I didn't consider the Magnapacks, because I wanted a reasonable volume. I figured the regular mufflers would be fine, and I think I was right. Trust me, it's louder then just about anything on the road.

Put it to you this way... it's loud enough that I wouldn't want to drive more than 50-100 miles on the highway at a time. It would probably get a bit irritating after that.

At the same time, if you drive easy, you can sneak home late at night and not wake up the entire neighborhood.

I am happy with the system, but if you want LOUD LOUD then you may want to consider something the magnapacks with the O/R X pipe.

Jeff

·
Registered
176 Posts
How about interior drone? I am fixing to get the same setup.

·
Authorized corral.net Advertiser
2,829 Posts
I have the same setup as you and I like it a lot. It isn't too loud at idle but once you start getting into it, the car gets loud I think.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It drones a little at 2,100 rpms, other than that it isn't bad at all.

Have fun!

Jeff

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It drones a little at 2,100 rpms, other than that it isn't bad at all.

Have fun!

Jeff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts