Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess my ole junk ran decent. What do you guys think?
.443 light
60' - 2.008
1/8 - 8.878
1/4 - 13.879
mph - 98.65

The car is a '91 coupe with no ac,ps,smog equp. it has 4.10's, 28'' et streets and lakewood 90/10 and 50/50's it weighed 3135 with me in it, a 1/2 tank of fuel, and a full bottle.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Weather was hot and muggy so i know that hurt. I would like to see some low 1.9 high 1.8 60's next time out, i think its got it in it with some practice from me. Yea Blue, I wish i would have bought some 26's instead of the 28's but I had big plans and would have needed the taller tire. Next time it will get 26's.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Might try leaving higher in the RPM band, was it bogging at 3k? Would bet it would with those big tires. The only stocker I ever drove on slicks was my 90 coupe, 3.73's with 26 in tall slicks, ran 13.72 @ 98 mph with a 1.73 60 ft and it was heavier than yours but then again it was 1989 and the car was two weeks old :).

I would try a lot harder launch or push the button and hold on like someone mentioned earlier.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Might try leaving higher in the RPM band, was it bogging at 3k? Would bet it would with those big tires. The only stocker I ever drove on slicks was my 90 coupe, 3.73's with 26 in tall slicks, ran 13.72 @ 98 mph with a 1.73 60 ft and it was heavier than yours but then again it was 1989 and the car was two weeks old :).

I would try a lot harder launch or push the button and hold on like someone mentioned earlier.
Next trip i'm gonna try and leave about 4000-5000 and see what happens. I tried leaving harder the first 2 passes and it wouldn't hold, just blew the tires off. that last pass i dropped from 15psi to 13psi in the tires and left at 3000 and it hooked, hard enough to pull the left front wheel about 6''.
http://ssracingphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/5716234_W6Htj#352773347_JzsJj

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Have you done anything with the suspension yet? A set of 90/10s and 4 cylinder springs will go a long way and a set of airbags in the rear springs will keep it from bouncing around and squatting too much.
98 mph should get you a little lower into the 13s. Also as mentioned, see if you can try some 26" tires on it.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It has 90/10 and 50/50's, but still has stock springs and upper/lower control arms. I'm pretty stoked for a stock car to actually pull the front wheels! I'm like you guys though, i think with some more tuning on the susp. it may have a .00 or a high .90 in it. So that will be my goal before the gas or the H/C/I swap.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
It has 90/10 and 50/50's, but still has stock springs and upper/lower control arms. I'm pretty stoked for a stock car to actually pull the front wheels! I'm like you guys though, i think with some more tuning on the susp. it may have a .00 or a high .90 in it. So that will be my goal before the gas or the H/C/I swap.
Get some 4 cylinder springs for the front. YOu can find them at the junk yard for around $50 I think. Make sure you specify 87-93 springs off a 4 cylinder mustang. The 94-up springs are shorter and the car will sit on the freaking ground (ask me how I know).

I may be purchasing an ARB soon and will have my airbag kit up for sale. It has been a good crutch for me since 2001, not a problem or leak one!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Is the front sway bar still connected? If so remove that and you will save some weight also its up to but you can also remove the front and rear bumper supports and that should save some weight.

When mine was close to stock just some suspension and weight savings I ran a 13.1 @102 with a 1.8 60ft

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Front swaybar is history:). Let me know when you pull the bag Carl, i'll work you out something. I'm trying to get the adjustable upper/lowers from Chad also, I think that will help with my 60'

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
I expect the ARB early next week and plan to tackle the install Friday/Saturday. I'll have the bags out then and can bring them to work week after next. I work in Deer Park at Oxy Vinyls off Tidal Rd, so that'll save you a trip to Baytown to pick up.

How does $35 sound. Thats a little less than half the new price of $79.88 from summit.

I believe they are part: AIR-60797 on summit's site for your reference.

These bags don't leak down at all and the most air I've ever pumped into them was 35 psi.

I also have the Granatelli weight jacker lower control arms that will be coming off at the same time. $60 for them or $90 for all of it. I went 1.46 sixty foot on these a month or two ago and 1.48 at the last race. The lowers are adjustable length, so you can actually use them to bring your pinion angle down a little by lengthening them.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Carl, I'll take the parts but you'll have to give me a little time. I work at BakerPetrolite in LaPorte untill saturday night and then i start a BP in Tx city mon. morn. I am deffinatly interested, that is unless you have a buyer already. Jay

Yeh, the wheels up thing kinda shocked me too for a stock motor, stock suspension car, Hell, i bet the thing is doing good to make 180-190 at the rear wheels LOL. My buddy said the right wheel was up a few inches also but i guess the camera man didn't catch it. I plan on going back next Friday to see if i can hone that time down a little more before the heads and intake go on. I have a couple of buddy's that are a little nervous right now, there scared of a stock motor LOL.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Jay,
I do have a buyer for the control arms if you don't really want them. He'll take them as soon as I get them pulled.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Go ahead and sell them then and don't wait on me if you have someone with cash in hand. I am trying to work a deal with Jacob and Chad on some parts that Chad has. Thanks Jay

1 - 20 of 28 Posts