Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
building my SBF (cleveland) shhhhhh the machine shop thats been in charge of the build the last 3 times it needed servicing called me telling me there was a problem.

said the cam was at least 20 degrees off when installed straight up..

we have never had a problem before... and on this rebuild we ordered a new comp cam and new summit name brand timing set...

we have put new cams and everything in it before.. no problem... wonder if it's the timing chain or the cam thats off?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh usually the procedure has been build shortblock with cam degreed in straight up... install heads and check for P to V clearance. then modify cam timing if necessary.. which it has been the last 2.. well this time we changed piston manufacturer and hoped we would have a little more clearance this time. it's a 408 rotating assembly just like is in the Windsor..

·
Registered
381 Posts
Got a spare timing set lying around for comparison to see if the dowel hole and dot line up on the cam gear, and the dot and keyway line up on the crank gear?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i do not have the lower gear of the timing set ... it seized onto the shaft and we had to cut it off... i do have one of the old cams tho...

·
Registered
96 Posts
I will bet you will find it is something in the timing gears. I just tried to install a cam in a SBF this weekend with a new Cloyes chain I wanted it 4 deg advanced. Set the gears up to be 4 deg and much to my suprise it gave me 8 deg. It was fine straight up though. I thought I was crazy. Grabbed an old melling set I had laying around it was right on the money.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok adjusted the keyway so that the cam is straight up.. checked piston to valve clearance.. .260 on intake and .220 on exhaust..

not what i was expecting... something is off.. it's usually very tight on P to V clearance... i'm off or something... i'm gonna throw the old cam in and maybe a new timing set and see if it's back to it's old self.. .090 intake and .100 ex.... for the life of me i dont know why things are looking queer on some of this stuff... i am missing something....

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
I have often said that, if we all owned Cam Doctors, we'd end up marching on the cam companies and hang them in their Thundercats Underoos.

·
Old timer
5,766 Posts
I have often said that, if we all owned Cam Doctors, we'd end up marching on the cam companies and hang them in their Thundercats Underoos.
Depends -

Once they find out you can check and verify their grinds on your Audie Cam Pro Plus, more attention is paid to what they ship out to ya. ;)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i havent fooled with it anymore... just thinking i've had to screw things up somehow... about to throw the old cam back in her and see what it looks like.... that will at least let me know if i'm chasing a problem with the timing set or cam... nothing wrong with the old cam... just trying to kill a few rpms and maybe make a touch less power..

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
LOL...you're gonna make us ask, aren't ya?
What was the issue?

ks

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
timing set numbers were not right i have a 9 way adjustable keyway crank sprocket and 0 is not 0 ... set it at 6 retarted and it's really really close to 0... like 2-3 degrees so we rolled with it..

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
now to see how it reacts with a slightly different combo.. no telling... im hoping to put the tighter converter in it.... and swap from the 5.38's to 4.56's it use to run 5.4's with a rons injection on it.. smaller cam now... and half a point less compression... and an alky dominator.. no telling what i can get out of the old girl..

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
timing set numbers were not right i have a 9 way adjustable keyway crank sprocket and 0 is not 0 ... set it at 6 retarted and it's really really close to 0... like 2-3 degrees so we rolled with it..
This is why every cam needs to be degreed. Not just installed straight up or "dot to dot".

1 - 16 of 16 Posts