Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Impressive!

Were these really stock?

I heard PHP and Team Mustang were spending hours fine tuning of couple of 'Stangs to make a big splash somewhere. This must have been the place.

Is hope for the N/A guys?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Bob Cosby said:
First, let me state that I am only commenting on the comments here. I can't and won't vouch for anything or any numbers. Shew...disclaimer done....LOL.

If you read the posts, you'll see where it was stated that both Auto's and 5 Speeds were tested.

The Auto went 14.00 (kind of sad).

The stick(s) started out at 13.67 on stock street tires. The car eventually improved to 13.36 on those street tires. It is reasonble to expect that with a new, unfamilier car, times would improve as you got used to the car.

Bolt-on DR's, and go 13.07 and then 12.97. Once again, with practice and traction, ET improves. From a drag racing standpoint, that makes perfect sense to me.

So yes, there was about a second difference, but in that mix put in A4 and M5 cars, different tires, and an unfamilier car to race. It becomes much easier to see why there would be such a spread....at least in my mind.

Final comment...I hope this is a glimpse of things to come. If these cars are real indicators of what the car is going to be like (especially the M5), then I'm 100% impressed. However, I think I'll wait till the production models hit the streets before I get too excited. :)
I was talking to the guy that was driving the auto and he said the main reason for the big time difference was that the auto's full cut off was set at 6250 were the stick car was set at 7250. I don't know if he was right but he should be, seeing as he was the one driving the car. Also the auto only had 245/45/17's Nitro DR 's on it were the stick car had 315's. I am not saying the auto doesn't suck I am just saying they were comparing apples to oranges. It be interesting to see if you'll be able to bump up the full cut off on the auto's without to much ill effect.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well first think to do to an Auto Mach 1 is get a Torque convertor that won't ballon at 7000+ RPMs and raise the rev limter!!! :joy:

Too bad they aren't going to make a vert Mach 1, I would get one but I would ditch the rims.

·
Registered
924 Posts
The "TECH" would not coment on which program was on what car. They just said "special programs and combinations".

Did any one notice about what block were they using? I did not notice!!

All the motors had the old "experimental" decal on them (cool looking). The Nittos were installed early. When I arrived there about 9:45am they were already installed on the cars that I saw.

The cars are very sharp looking but I really hated the RIMS!!

Stang32v

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Bob Cosby said:
If you read the posts, you'll see where it was stated that both Auto's and 5 Speeds were tested.

The stick(s) started out at 13.67 on stock street tires. The car eventually improved to 13.36 on those street tires. It is reasonble to expect that with a new, unfamilier car, times would improve as you got used to the car.

Bolt-on DR's, and go 13.07 and then 12.97. Once again, with practice and traction, ET improves. From a drag racing standpoint, that makes perfect sense to me.
Yes, Bob, I do agree with you as well, as it does make perfect sense from a drag racing standpoint. I just guess that my main "problem" with all of this, was that the Mach 1 got into the 12's with ONLY DR's, whereas I don't believe I've EVER seen a stock Cobra dip into the 12's on Nitto's. Although, I'm sure you could put a stock Cobra with only Nittos's in the 12's, Bob! :D

In closing..... what I don't understand...... Mach 1 ~300 HP goes 12's on DR's. ......... Cobra ~320 HP will only yield mid to low 13's on DR's, assuming everything else is stock on these cars. What doesn't make sense here??? :confused: Really sounds like the Mach 1 is re-tuned, rather than de-tuned. :D

·
Registered
372 Posts
96_Stang_99 said:

In closing..... what I don't understand...... Mach 1 ~300 HP goes 12's on DR's. ......... Cobra ~320 HP will only yield mid to low 13's on DR's, assuming everything else is stock on these cars. What doesn't make sense here??? :confused: Really sounds like the Mach 1 is re-tuned, rather than de-tuned. :D
I believe the Mach 1 is rated at 320hp. Regardless, you must consider that a Cobra gets the IRS which is ~85 lbs heavier AND the driveline losses are going to be a tiny bit more.

I think Bob C. wants one. ;)

If the auto ran a 14.00 with a 6250 cut-off, I'd like to see what it runs at full tilt with the right converter and some gear. 12.7's???

Eric

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Guess we'll just have to wait for them to hit the showroon floors, huh?? '03 Cobras as well..... :evil:

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Here, I was there as well.

Pics arent the best b/c there were SOOOOOOO many dang people around these cars it wasn't even funny.
Go to go to my image book for more pics of the mach1.
I will be adding all the photos of the show very soon to keep an eye out for a new post.

·
Registered
448 Posts
All I can say is WOW. Finally, Ford is getting serious! This is looking better than the '60's musclecar era! My Uncle wont let me forget his 440 Charger ran 12.8 stock w/headers. I can't wait to stuff my timeslip in his face w/ my 2003 Cobra. Fun fun FUN!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Did they ever run the red one on Sunday? Saturday they only ran the blue & black ones. Both looked pretty thrashed, with the black one looking like it had been to hell & back. The black one had a ton of test equipment in the front seat & the trunk as well.

One question, did Classic Design Concepts work with Ford on the shaker/twin intake setup or was it coincidence that their booth was next to the Mach's?

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Craig99SVT said:
You guys have to keep in mind that Commerce is a very slow track for around here(GA). Cars typically run 2-3 tenths slower there than they do at Silver Dollar(Reynolds) which is where the NMRA race was 2 weeks ago. People around here HATE going to Commerce for that reason. Most of the ATL guys would rather drive the 2+ hour drive down to Reynolds than 30 or so minutes over to Commerce. This is very good news for the Mach 1. ;)
I would have to say Commerce was hooking pretty well based on the trap speeds/et. Me puts my car on trailer and heads to GA to get my 12's :D This is awesome news!

·
Registered
480 Posts
The engine bay is awfully crowded. They couldn't get K&N to make a special panel filter to fit inside/under the scoop and reduce some of that tubing?

Still, a very sweet car. The rims don't look that bad, similar to the Bullitt's. I wish the chin spoiler was more pronounced, a la the original Mach 1.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I cant believe some of you ninny`s want the Mach 1 to be a convertible! When was a Mach 1 EVER a convertible! That totally negates the whole idea of a mach 1.

Also, i think the numbers from bone stock cars(`sides the tires). The mach1 has different "truck cams" which supposedly push more torque, along with the 3.55`s, is more what the cobra should need to dart out of the 330 mark.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Just a few comments about some of the stuff in this thread.

The mach 1 will be runing an Al. block when it is produced, but, I think someone was asking if the cars were runing Al. blocks because they want to know if there is some weight to be be shed as of yet. But, I think the cars were out there with aluminum blocks, becuase, at this point of the game, ford needs to be testing the cars as they will roll off of the line.

The other thing is the comments about the auto rev limiter. Over in the Team Mustang forum, I along with others had disscusions with members of team mustang about the cast crank that the auto will be equiped with and it's in ability to take the higer rpms. Team Mustang said that they left the forged crank out because the trany couldn't take the RPM's that would necesitate a forged crank. So, it sounds to me like if you buy an auto, go ahead and have it delivered with a replacement forged crank so when you go to put that converter in you can go ahead and sitck the forged crank it there as well, of course it will take alot of work, but I would hate to blow an engine in a unquie car like that.

Wes

B

·
0 Posts
Mach1 Burnout Picture

There are ALOT of rumors about the tune of the cars...

Were the Machs run with a special tune or were they run like they will be delivered?
The chips in the cars were completely stock. The cars were at curb weight with only the spare tire removed. In fact, the automatic had 160+ lbs. of test equipment in it so it was overly heavy. We drove them down from MI, raced, and drove them home too.

We used our instrumentation to take data during the runs only. The 12.97 run was on 93 pump fuel too. Paul of Paul's High Performance drove that time - a great guy.

It is an impressive car.

Check out my burnout (on stock tires for show)!

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Whats up with the BROWNOUT, I mean, burnout?? I know that some of the pavement in the south has a reddish tint, but WTF??? Sorry if I'm missing something. :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
It's great that they are reviving the Mach 1. That was one of the first cars I noticed when I was a kid. They were very popular back then. The new Cobra will be great also.

I keep reading that they are going to completely re-do the Mustang soon and base it on a lighter version of the T-bird/Lincoln LS frame. I've seen it called 'DEW-lite.' When are they supposed to do this? I read in one place that it's 2004 for the 40th anniversary Mustang, but that's just a little over a year from now.

I just hope they don't destroy the character of the cars when they change over. One thing I would love to see would be a clutch-less manual transmission like F1 cars have had for 10 years and Ferrari's have. You can also get it on a BMW M3 now. It is not an automatic and there is no torque converter. A computer changes gears when you push the paddle + or - in less than a hundredth of a second - much faster than humanly possible to clutch. I heard Ford is working on it. I sure hope so.:joy:

21 - 40 of 55 Posts