Ford Mustang Forums banner

Mach 1 mods help

3K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  SilverSmith82 
#1 ·
I finally got the car into the body shop an it’s getting painted. After I’m dropping it off at a performance shop to get long tube headers, h pipe, 410 gears and a tune. Just wondering is there any other bolt on mods I should buy and put on for when I have the car tuned.

#7 ·
Throttle body would be a good option to get. On these Mustangs I think 9's in the front and 10.5's for the back look very good. 17 or 18 inch tall tires look good on these too. 19's 20's and larger don't look good.

If youre going with a supercharger later you might be want to try higher gears, 4.10's might be to low. If already purchased and they're being installed (and the supercharger is going to be much later) then have fun with the 4.10's. These are very fun gears! Though later when you get the supercharger installed you might want to get the taller gears. I should have went 4.10's the first time around.

#12 ·
H pipes usually give you more torque and the classic muscle car sound and an X pipe enhances HP at higher rpms. The FR500 had an H up front and an X out back iirc. Pretty cool stuff. Good luck with your build

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

#14 ·
As the other guys are talking about a TB, and I do agree there, I'm running a BBK on my 99 intake. Thinking about your build with long tubes maybe go with a little torque gain from a 1/2 plenum spacer. I've been running it for 4 years. Since you are getting a tune it's a cheap addition for a little more low end grunt.

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

#16 ·
I'd skip the head work/cams with a blower. What kind of blower are you looking at? If centri I'd skip the TB also. If KB/Whipple/TVS the TB is OK.

#18 ·
The general consensus is that the stock rods are good for about 450whp. A good blower setup will net you that easily without head work and cams. If you decide to forge the lower end, the extra work could net some increase but the stock heads and cams will work for what you are trying to accomplish. FWIW, I am running mildly ported heads with upgraded valve springs and 98 Cobra Intake cams. They made little difference with my Whipple setup. With the money spent, I picked up 40-50whp. I asked my tuner(Manny Alvarez@HPP) about upgrading to even bigger cams and his response was to go with more cubes or swap to a turbo if I wanted more power.

#20 ·
TB and CAI will get you nothing.
If you really plan to go FI, skip the damper & UDPs

General consensus for NA ~320 RWHP with 99-01 DOHC C-Head 4.6L:
K&N filter
OEM Cams
March damper
March hydraboost and WPpulleys
Long tubes
Hi Flow Cats/Cat Delete mid-pipe
Tune

360-370 RWHP:
Na svt recommended cams, properly degreed.
Tune
Generally for a stroker or BB:
A 90mm plastic lightning MAF, focus FP and 39# injectors might help but only after at least following the recipe to 360 rwhp.

#21 ·
You don't need headwork or cams, the 4V heads you have flow a ton and the cams are fine. You can swap to older Cobra intake cams for a little extra power. TB upgrade does nothing, the stocker is not restrictive. Neither is the factory air intake or anything else really. For a simple bolt on car you're going to get MUCH more out of a good exhaust, steep gears and suspension than anything else. Hell 4.30s for a 4V. It has the redline to really make use of them. With the right suspension and sticky tires and 4.30s and a good tune you can make that 300rwhp (give or take) feel like a rocketship. Highway mileage is not an issue. You will still get 20-22mpg running 2800-3000rpm on the highway with 4.30s and that's not going to hurt the engine at all.

Reactions: ScottAlan
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.