Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally completed the job, which included new brake ducts and the holes to feed them. It fit pretty good, I just had to slit the backing int two places so I could bend the fender extensions in to fit the fenderline without wrinkling it. I think it turned out pretty clean.

I used 4-inch-to-3-inch galvanized reducers bent down square at the large end for the scoops:

Passenger side ducting:

I closed the gap between the duct and the dam with aluminum tape, then painted it. Looks like ass but few people will see it

Drivers side ducting:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Do you have any pictures or can you share the details of how you attached the sheet metal work to the chin spoiler?

·
Super Moderator
27,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have any pictures or can you share the details of how you attached the sheet metal work to the chin spoiler?
I'll get more pics later, but my metalworking skills aren't good enough to put the scoops right up against the back side of the dam, so I did what I could, and then closed the gap with aluminum tape. To secure the scoops in place, I slit each top corner so the top of the scoop is a flap that fits under the mounting lip on the top back side of the spoiler, and also drilled a hole through the top of each one and a corresponding hole in the bumper cover and used a push-type fastener to hold it in place. Each one is also zip-tied up tight so its back side with the hose doesn't flop around.

·
Super Moderator
27,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a great DIY idea for the induction portion. Thanks for the inspiration!

Which bracket are you using to connect to the spindle?
I clamped it to the spindle using a small gates clamp through the ABS sensor hole which is unused on my car, and a slit I cut in the tubing so the clamp grabs two sections of the wire spiral in each hose. Then the hose is pinched down somewhat rectangular and aimed into the hat of the rotor.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Is there a plan to install a mesh grate to keep debris from entering the pathway? Also, neat solution. Not pretty. I like it :)

·
Super Moderator
27,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not worried about debris in the ducts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
When i get home, and settled iam going to re-route my dyer ducts to the front brakes via fog light openings. I like your setup, one day ill drive to AZ and we attend a track day together.

·
Super Moderator
27,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Updated with more pics.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Nice work! looks real good and functional. I am going to do that to my GT via the round driving light openings. Thanks for posting. Helps me in figuring out my routing of the duct. Again, nice work.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Any benefit to having a Mach 1 chin spoiler?
Theoretically, it will provide some downforce and help prevent the front end from floating at speed. After discovering the tendency of my 86 coupe to float at 85+ MPH while trying to keep up with some exotic rides on a run up the coast to the Monterey Historics, I had a custom air dam and rear wing built for my 86 coupe.

BTW, MFE, great job on the installation of the Mach 1 spoiler. It looks great!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
27,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Only two track events into the setup, not enough data points, but my hunch is "no".

·
Super Moderator
27,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Super Moderator
27,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How do you like that heat extractor?
It helped in the AZ heat, but it would be better if it was 2-4 inches further back. But the lateral hood brace is exactly right there and I didn't want to cut it out.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts