Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LT's on the way. Is it worth while to drop the K-member to install the headers? Is AJE K-member the best one to use with stock suspension?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Dropping the K will make all the bolts MUCH easier to get to. Otherwise you will be unbolting the motor mounts from the K-member and Jacking up the engine.

I figured the easiest way to install the LT's is to drop the K. Then I figured "Why put the stock heavy K back on?" so I ordered me an AJE Tubular K with free road racing braces. It fits nicely, has lots of header clearance, required zero modifications, accepted the stock springs, struts, etc. To top that off, it shaves about 32lbs off the front of the car.

I couldn't imagine NOT dropping the k-member. Besides, with the K-member off, you get to tighten the nuts a little more equally(which means less chance of a leak).

Good luck.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I've installed and removed well over 10 sets of headers on my Cobra. Do yourself a favor, drop the K. The only folks who say "don't drop the K" have never tried it. I've done it both ways and it's much easier with the K removed.

Chris Yates
96 Cobra

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
And once you drop the stock kmember and install an aftermarket one you can change headers w/o dropping the kmember anymore. I was to ancy and installed my kmember before I recieved my longtubes. Once my longtubes showed up I installed them. I just recently removed them to pull the tranny. This is all w/o redropping the kmember, because an aftermarket piece provides that much more room under the car. :)

·
Registered
410 Posts
Are there any long tubes out there that don't need to be removed to remove the tranny and clutch. My t-56's bell housing comes off, just wondering if I get a set of LTs are there any that give more room then others.

On Kmember, what kind of money are we talking?
kmember + control arms I suspect or did you leave the stock arms on?

thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts