Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not looking for a fight or a locked thread, but just wanted to chat it up about the LS platform. From talking to alot of folks, I've heard that Ford had the mod motor design and the LS design to choose from. The mod was new, and the LS was an updated Windsor/5.0. Ford chose the mod motor for the 'Stang in '96 due to less moving parts, cheaper to build, more efficient, etc. The engineer who updated the Windsor/5.0 left Ford to go to GM. They used his design one year later in the '97 'Vette. RUMORS I'm starting to believe those rumors. Here is why. The years line up. Also, the heads from an LS engine will bolt to a Windsor/5.0. The intake and exhaust valves are backwards, but a custom cam will fix that. The pushrods are off a touch, but I'm hearing there are kits to fix that. Also, GM Performance Parts makes a water pump for the LS stuff that moves the waterneck up to the exact location of a Windsor/5.0. They also make an ignition setup to do away with the crank trigger type and coil on plug setup. How does it work? A cam extension with a mechanical fuel pump lobe and a distributor gear bolt to the front of the cam with a new timing chain cover. A FORD distributor is used and it mounts on the FRONT of the engine.

Anyone care to have a civil discussion about this? Is it just coincidence? Is it fact? I love the LSx and I love the Windsor/5.0. Mostly, I LOVE learning about both platforms.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
The engineer who updated the Windsor/5.0 left Ford to go to GM. They used his design one year later in the '97 'Vette. RUMORS I'm starting to believe those rumors. Here is why. The years line up.
It takes on average 4 years to develop a new powertrain. The tooling alone takes almost 2 years to design and build.

Also, the heads from an LS engine will bolt to a Windsor/5.0. The intake and exhaust valves are backwards, but a custom cam will fix that. The pushrods are off a touch, but I'm hearing there are kits to fix that.
Why bother. Use the LS short block. It's a modern design, more efficient and has properly sized bearings unlike the Windsor.

Also, GM Performance Parts makes a water pump for the LS stuff that moves the waterneck up to the exact location of a Windsor/5.0. They also make an ignition setup to do away with the crank trigger type and coil on plug setup. How does it work? A cam extension with a mechanical fuel pump lobe and a distributor gear bolt to the front of the cam with a new timing chain cover. A FORD distributor is used and it mounts on the FRONT of the engine.
Yes. but "exact location" might be an incorrect statement...

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why bother. Use the LS short block. It's a modern design, more efficient and has properly sized bearings unlike the Windsor.
That's not the point. The point is that it can be done.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL Anyone else want to join the topic?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a rumor I heard. Maybe it's true and you hadn't heard it. Then again, maybe I heard just that...a rumor. But that other stuff is rather fishy. The heads, water neck, ignition, etc. Even the "properly sized bearings" makes me think the engineer knew the bearing size was lacking and improved on the design when updating the Windor/5.0... IF it is an updated version.

I get excited about it. I'm interested to any learnin' I can get about this stuff!

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Well I have heard stuff too buuuuttt. It is kinda strange the year Ford stop producing 5.0 blocks followed with LS1. the heads are canted valve as well correct? Something like a Cleveland..similiar only fellas relax, i know big block chevy;s etc etc. Im sure its just chevy got in a pinch and copied the ford design maybe?? Just putting ideas out there. Who knows for sure but i am glad that chevy finally got it right.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
It's a pushrod V8. Only so many ways to do something and stay cheap. These things are designed by engineers that all went to school together, the drivetrains are used in the same ways, and the programs are given about the same $$$ for R&D. IMO Ford was sold a bill of goods with the OHC motors and the homers have been drinking the kool-aid for years waiting on the big, bad-ass 400 hp n/a mod motor. It never really worked, yet. But I'm just some goober who rides in the things, I don't design/build them.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's a pushrod V8. Only so many ways to do something and stay cheap.
I agree, but also disagree. They don't have share the same exact head bolt pattern, for example.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
While the LS/Ford rumor dosent seem that far fetched, i think this day and age people just wanna believe that nothing is what it looks like on the surface, its like people wanna here every little detail and story that nobody ever cared about before the internet was around to stir things up.

I'm in the boat that thinks GM just took every part of a few SB's that was good and refined them into one package. I think if ford would have stayed pushrod instead this whole LS swap forum wouldnt even be here. they def dropped the ball

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can swing with that. I'm a pushrod guy. hehe I'd like for Ford to pick the Windsor block back up, use modern technology to update the heads/cam/intake/computer, and put it back in the 'Stang. How many people out there have some good Windsor parts, but the bodys are getting old? Ford wouldn't have to wait on the aftermarket to catch up, because the aftermarket has a TON of Windsor platform parts and knowledge on tap.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
People can talk themselves into any cockamamie conspiracy theory they want to believe, if it makes them feel like some kind of insider outside-the-box thinker with a leg up on everybody else.

·
Formerly LSNotch
840 Posts
Well said!

People can talk themselves into any cockamamie conspiracy theory they want to believe, if it makes them feel like some kind of insider outside-the-box thinker with a leg up on everybody else.
:joy:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts