Ford Mustang Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
please bear with me if this is the wrong place for this, but curiosity has gotten the best of me...

in detail, could anyone explain some of the key features that make the gm LS-1 engine the great power producer it is? since it seems to be the bogey, i think it would pay to understand some of the reasons for its prodigious power production.

combustion chamber design?

valvetrain efficiency?

exceptional port volume?

i know, i know, its 5.7 liters....that's not what i am looking for.

again, sorry if this is the wrong place, no harm intended.

·
Registered
911 Posts
well they definitely have a healthier combustion chamber design,(the peanut shape ) i think.

also their heads flow very well ,but i thinkk the 1.1 liters might make a slight diffrence:p

·
Registered
55 Posts
Let me begin with the fact that once you look at all the factors in a ls1 they really aren't that impressive. First, they start off with the obvious 5.7 L. Next, they have a .500 lift cam. They come stock with alluminum heads that flow in the 240's, not to mention that they have a port design like a ford which makes more power. I think they have a 75 mm t-body stock. Now with that given compare a 5.0l mustang with heads that flow in the mid 200's with an e-cam and the bolt-ons the ls1 is gonna get worked. Yes this is a very well designed motor but they run slow for what they have from the factory.
:p

·
Registered
439 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but dosen't our humble 5.4 DOHC (smaller than an LS1) make 385hp (more than an LS1)?

·
Registered
18 Posts
esandes said:
That's right. The Cobra R eats LS1's and poops them out.
You guys are morons. OK lets get in the same price range a LS6 which is a step up from the LS1 and has the same displacement makes 405 HP. It will eat your precious and slightly more expensive Cobra R for breakfast, lunch and supper then spit it out because its a FORD. While still having all of the luxury's like AC, and a radio ;) and getting better gas mileage.

·
Registered
18 Posts
pwrhungry said:
The 405 hp vette is the zo6 which is more than a cobra r bowtie boy.
Kelly blue Book 2002 Vette MSRP= $51,075 2000 Cobra R= $54,000 plus dealer markup :rolleyes:. Looks like my hometown had a better elementary school than yours ;).

·
Corral Charter Member
2,018 Posts
Ok. First, this is Modular Tech. If you wish to discuss other engine, please use the Lounge. A great place to find good information about the LS1 is www.ls1tech.com.

Second....disagree if you want...but Dolphan...chill out, please. Name-calling won't get you very far - especially in the tech Forums.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.