Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so there is the contour fans on ebay new and used they probably suck the most air .But you need a 3rd gen alt I believe? And more wireing to be done and that is allways a blast to make look clean
So what's the your guys clean set up or wire buying kit that works.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Contour fans with Ron Francis at-99 “Ice Box” controller. Awesome set up. Starts the fans at 2 separate temps to control draw.
There is one on Corral for sale.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
? I have I dont have my Holly efi on the car yet will the Holly run the fans I think it may?

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Yes, I run Holley HP EFI and they run my Contour fans.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok cool well hopefully someone with out the Holly will see the benefit of the part posted above.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another? Do the 1979-93 MUSTANG CONTOUR ELECTRIC FAN ASSEMBLY that Lmr sells new .Are they as good as a old Used set off Ebay from a contour The stats look the same from what I have looked up any recommendations on this?

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Don't skimp on the radiator. The more water that is cooled from the airflow the cooler the water will get so make sure you get a real good one with a lot of surface area and good fin spacing.

ks

·
Registered
22,235 Posts
you would need zero water flow for that to be true

more water will will absorb more heat per time and will require more time to give it up

larger amount of water will not help reject more heat

GPM and CFM and coefficient of heat transfer are the key items to reject heat per time

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Listen to the two gentlemen that also posted in here. Very smart guys and I always read anything they post so I can learn.
Anyways, I bought the Dorman Contour fan off of RockAuto for $90 I believe. Had it for 3 years now and not a single issue. I actually bought 2 so I could have a back up. At $90 it was a simple choice for me. You could go to a local junkyard and pull 1 or 2 from a v6 Contour or cougar. Probably be a lot cheaper, but those fans all had 150,000 miles +, so I decided on new Dorman units.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Hmmmm....searching what the Contour fan looks like showed me that is what my car had on it when I bought it. If I even need to service or replace I now know what kind of fan unit it uses.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ya I'm not going to go to the Junk Yard unless its something that was way better so I will do the rock auto Doarman then.

So with that being said with the good Fans .
What raditors are you guys Happy with for Street cars ?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Ok so there is the contour fans on ebay new and used they probably suck the most air .But you need a 3rd gen alt I believe? And more wireing to be done and that is allways a blast to make look clean
So what's the your guys clean set up or wire buying kit that works.
As for radiators, best thing I ever did to one of my cars over the year was to put a "Be Cool" radiator in it. Well worth the money!!!

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
you would need zero water flow for that to be true

more water will will absorb more heat per time and will require more time to give it up

larger amount of water will not help reject more heat

GPM and CFM and coefficient of heat transfer are the key items to reject heat per time
Are you referring to my post? I'm talking about removing the heat from the water.

ks

·
Registered
22,235 Posts
Yes i was referring to your post

Having more water just increases the amount of heat the cooling system can carry

Nothing to do with the rate at which it can absorb or reject

If your engine produces 100btus/hour

Your rad better be able to reject 100btus/hour

If it can do only 90btus/hour

Having more water in system just allows more time before an overheat happens

Does not fix the overheat

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
If your engine produces 100btus/hour

Your rad better be able to reject 100btus/hour

I agree. I wasn't talking about simply adding more water to the system, that's a moot point. My comment about a larger/better radiator was to address the issue you outlined above, larger as in 2-row vs 3-row, and making sure there are adequate fin density to dissipate the heat from the water and still have good airflow through it.

ks

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Makes alot of sence. So what raditors are you 2 guys running just out of curiosity in your cars.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Makes alot of sence. So what raditors are you 2 guys running just out of curiosity in your cars.
I believe mine is from CJ Pony. It's a 3-core aluminum for manual trans cars. I have a separate cooler/fan for the transmission located in the fender. My system works better than I ever expected.
I have a large IC from Treadstone, A/C condenser, then the radiator with factory 2002 GT fan and my car has never been 200* even in downtown traffic when temps outside were over 100*.

ks

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
You can also possibly pull some heat out from the oil. Which is good for the oil and also to pull heat out a secondary way.

Your primary cooling system is the radiator/coolant system. Your secondary cooling system is your oil system, if you set it up to do so. Your tertiary cooling system is convection off the block/heads/etc...

I can't say this is definitly true, but it has been my understanding that if your engine compartment is a high pressure area, air will more around it rather than through it. Which hurts cooling performance. If it's a low pressure area, high pressure are will move through it. Which you want.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
I can't say this is definitly true, but it has been my understanding that if your engine compartment is a high pressure area, air will more around it rather than through it. Which hurts cooling performance. If it's a low pressure area, high pressure are will move through it. Which you want.
Correct. If the air inside the engine compartment (behind the radiator) isn't removed then the air being pulled in from the fan has nowhere to go so the overall airflow through the radiator is decreased. Air being pulled through the radiator has to get removed out of the engine bay to keep the air flowing.

ks

·
Registered
22,235 Posts
I agree. I wasn't talking about simply adding more water to the system, that's a moot point. My comment about a larger/better radiator was to address the issue you outlined above, larger as in 2-row vs 3-row, and making sure there are adequate fin density to dissipate the heat from the water and still have good airflow through it.

ks
I see, the ‘more water’ comment you made, sounded like a bigger rad that holds more water

1 - 20 of 60 Posts