Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting rid of my KB and going turbo. I want an intercooled kit that doesn't require hacking up the car to install. I am not looking to go crazy, mostly a street car, that I may take to the track once in a while. I would like to keep my stock longblock and maybe run 10-15 lbs. of boost. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I am currently installing a Cartech Street Sleeper kit for the 94/95 cars. I cannot vouch for Cartech's delivery times, as I bought the kit used, but I can say the kit installs very nicely and looks to be good quality. To ease the install, I removed the air pump (I planned to do that anyway). My front passenger side motor mount bolt had to be cut (it was one of those nut/stud deals) to make room for the exhuast bypass, and I had to clip one piece of metal to make it easier to get to one of the intercooler plumbing hose clamps. The intercooler is a tight fit, but it will go in without removing the bumper. Oh yeah, the person I bought the kit from has a custom 3" dunp pipe made (never installed) that needed a small indentation (firewall interference). Other than that, it is a well designed kit.

Also, Cartech has been helpful answering my questions when I have called, and even faxed me install instructions. They were not real clear (black boxes instead of pictures), but they did not have to do that, considering they didn't sell me the kit.

Let me repeat - I did not buy the kit from them, and I encourage you to check whichever turbo company you select thouroughly before you send them any money. I can only critique the quality of the kit.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm a former KB guy who went turbo. I can tell you it's different. The Bell pulled hard instantly, but ran out of juice at about 4500-5000 rpm. The turbos just get going at about 3500 rpm and pull HARD all the way until I shift at 5800 rpm. Although I liked the KB, I LOVE the turbos!

I can only speak about three turbo companies I dealt with Turbo Technology, Turbonetics, and Incon. Incon (who is no longer in business) was hands down the WORST company I have ever dealt with in my life. Not just in the automotive field, but the worst company, period. They made dealing with the local cable company seem like a pleasure. Turbo Technology on the other hand, were fantastic to deal with. Same for Turbonetics. Lots of technical support, friendly people, delivered when the said they would, and quality products. I'd recommend these two places to anyone.

Rob

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. Sounds like I have more homework to do before I lay down the cash.

·
Registered
125 Posts
We've been using Turbo Tech kits here for a while, and I have one on my personal car. They've been great to work with and delivery times are spot on for us as a distributor. Feel free to give me a call if you have questions about the specifics of their kits.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Carson said:
I think our kit would suite your needs very well.
Well if the mods thought my thread was spam then I smell a future lock or delete of this thread :barf: . That sux for all of us who arent so sensetive.

·
Registered
65 Posts
TurboTechnology

Hands down - Turbo Technology. Period.

(And YES, I have dealt with the 'other' turbo companies, and had their kits on my cars)

MJB

·
Registered
676 Posts
Pretty sure the TTI kit is somewhat limited in turbo size and downpipe diameter with 95 and later cars........no?

I'm also pretty sure the Cartech kit uses a 3" DP and can handle a much larger turbo, up to a T76 I think........no?

Either kit is great though.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Street kit

You are probably correct about the TTI street kit for the SN95's. But the race kit from the 87-93 cars will fit on the SN95 with some minor mods (I think the hardest part is moving the fuse block out of the way, if that sounds right).

And the race kit will accept 76 or 80mm turbos without issues.

MJB

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey fellas, I appreciate all the tips. I was all set on the TTI, but found a used Cartech kit for a good price and just couldn't pass it up.

On another note the TTI comes with a 60-1 hi-fi, I believe anything bigger requires some fenderwell mods.

·
15,478 Posts
LOL, I really don't get what's spam and what isn't. Don't get me the wrong way, heh, but this is funny. Anyways, I think it's great that they're both on this site to offer insight to their kits :D

You've got a few manufacturers to chose from...whole lotta acronyms to choose from...ITS, ITT, PTK, blah blah blah.

Good luck! over on turbomustangs.com there's list of manufacturers and links etc.; as well as an excellent turbo forum.

Good luck!

·
Registered
49 Posts
OK im new to turbos.(former nitrous guy) and im confused. I was told that the Incon kit was GREAT. Easy to install, complete, and they were a helpful company. Now Im hearing nothing but bad stuff

·
Registered
65 Posts
Chapter 11

Dude. Incon is out of business and their kit is a ROYAL pain in the ass to work on/install. Get a Turbo Tech kit and love every minute of it.

MJB

1 - 16 of 16 Posts