Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas, I've done some reading and got some info. but wanted to hear any thoughts/suggestions on boost control.
Currently my car is making 7psi from the highest boost spring (supposedly 8-9#) that came with my wastegate (JGS 60mm). Like this its making 598/580 at the tires before 6000rpm and the turbo is a GT4788 w/ 1.08 a/r.
I would like to make about 15-20# next spring.
I probably would do something like an AMS 1000 or 500 down the road, but for now I'd really like to find a cheaper method if possible.
I went for a ride in a TT LS1 F-bird making 700rwhp and he was controlling boost with a simple mechanical valve he could adjust and said it cost all of $60.
I would like to be able to have 2 boost setting really, probably 7-10# for the street and 15-20# for the track.
The car also has XFI and I plan on researching any boost control capabilities it has.
So:
1) custom spring for the wastegate?
2) mechanical valve that can be adjusted?
3) XFI control?
4) ????
If I have to spend any more than $200 I'll probably just buy the AMS.
Any help appreciated.
-J

BTW, here's some pics:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Damn dude. That's a whole lotta motor with a big ol' turbo. We should be asking you questions!!

You can build one from parts at home depot for like 10 dollars. With the money you have in that setup just buy a good one though. I think you should put a little better spring for 9-10 lbs and use the controller to turn it up from there.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn dude. That's a whole lotta motor with a big ol' turbo. We should be asking you questions!!

You can build one from parts at home depot for like 10 dollars. With the money you have in that setup just buy a good one though. I think you should put a little better spring for 9-10 lbs and use the controller to turn it up from there.
haha, thanks :salute:

I've thought about spending the money on the AMS controller but I really don't want to spend that if I don't have to (lots of $$ to spend on the interior, coatings, and making it legal here in PA---stupid state inspections :curses:).
I talked to a few people on turbomustangs.com and it looks like the simple mech. valve will work. I think I'll order the custom spring and one of the nice Ebay mech. valves someone sent me a link for.
But, I like the 7psi on the low side.
Am I correct in thinking the low side of boost with a mech. valve is set by the spring (i.e. the contoller wouldn't let me go lower than the spring allows)?

Sounds like you got a nice 331T motor there too, good luck.
-J

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hey fellas, I've done some reading and got some info. but wanted to hear any thoughts/suggestions on boost control.
Currently my car is making 7psi from the highest boost spring (supposedly 8-9#) that came with my wastegate (JGS 60mm). Like this its making 598/580 at the tires before 6000rpm and the turbo is a GT4788 w/ 1.08 a/r.
I would like to make about 15-20# next spring.
I probably would do something like an AMS 1000 or 500 down the road, but for now I'd really like to find a cheaper method if possible.
I went for a ride in a TT LS1 F-bird making 700rwhp and he was controlling boost with a simple mechanical valve he could adjust and said it cost all of $60.
I would like to be able to have 2 boost setting really, probably 7-10# for the street and 15-20# for the track.
The car also has XFI and I plan on researching any boost control capabilities it has.
So:
1) custom spring for the wastegate?
2) mechanical valve that can be adjusted?
3) XFI control?
4) ????
If I have to spend any more than $200 I'll probably just buy the AMS.
Any help appreciated.
-J

If those are the tires you race on, I would highly suggest you just get the AMS. That controller is the best, and when you put 20psi to that car, you will NEED it. I would also suggest you go ahead and get the 'chute mount done, because you will need it long before you reach 20psi.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Am I correct in thinking the low side of boost with a mech. valve is set by the spring (i.e. the contoller wouldn't let me go lower than the spring allows)?
-J
You are correct. The spring sets minimum boost, and the 'gate does what it can to keep it there. The boost controller either fools the 'gate or puts pressure on top of the gate to control boost.

·
Registered
72 Posts
you can get a AEM true boost for under $200, or get a turbonetics manual Boost for like $45,I had the manual and is nice,but I just went with a electronic.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BTW I run a similar turbo and I use the AMS. When I ran a smaller turbo I used a cheap turbo RX manual valve controller and it worked find. I think I actually have it laying around if you want to try it.
Thanks man, I must have skipped over that post. PM sent.
-J

1 - 8 of 8 Posts