Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently running 4.10 gears and making 577rwhp.car will be on a 26 inch MT slick dor track duty.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Sounds like fun!
What is your question? Are you looking to be more tame or want to make sure you're not bouncing off the rev limiter @ 1000ft?

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not worried about the rev limiter as its set at 6600.just looking to see what people are running with the t56,the first gear is 2.66 .car feels great but i have plans to go over 700rwhp in the future

·
Registered
416 Posts
well with a 26" tire and going up to 700hp i think 3.55 would be ok.

i just switch to 3.55 from 3.73 with my 427 and tko600 and like it better.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Your current HP is very similar to mine. I am running 3:73 with a T56, but have to run 28" tires to make 1320'. I don't like revving past 5500 though, and trap speed is 128-130. I run 26" tires on the street and it is fun. Cruises at like 1800 in 6th at 70 mph.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have the 2.66 or 2.97 1st gear ?

·
Formerly known as 20thAniv
1,275 Posts
Just throwing this out there. No matter what the 1st gear ratio is, the 4th gear ratio is going to be 1:1. So the rpm going through the traps at the drag strip will still be determined on a 1:1 ratio, as far as mph to rpm.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I can't imagine anyone with a drag car who is serious about going as fast as possible doing anything but planning rear gear based on trap MPH, maximum engine RPM, and tire diameter.

The rear gear in every drag car I have owned for the past 45 years has been planned for trap speed and RPM using the final gear ratio I want to be in when I cross the finish line.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I can't imagine anyone with a drag car who is serious about going as fast as possible doing anything but planning rear gear based on trap MPH, maximum engine RPM, and tire diameter.

The rear gear in every drag car I have owned for the past 45 years has been planned for trap speed and RPM using the final gear ratio I want to be in when I cross the finish line.
^^^^ Exactly. Yours is not a rhetorical question. It's a simple math question you would find on the SAT entrance exam if you were going to gear head U.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts