Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1988 mustang GT 5.0 turbo build in progress

Ok im ive got pretty much every thing for my build including, turbo kit, fuel pump, injectors, mass air, svt chip with 3 or 4 available tunes and switch to change between tunes. Also went through motor(stock bore, stock trw pistons and rods) with arp bolts, dss main gridle, windage tray, 7qt oil pan. I have all new bearings and rings(gapped for boost) in motor. GT40 heads port and polished, eldebrock performer intake, tick flow stage one cam. Also upr k memeber and coil over as well as strange adjustable shock whole way around. I have a lot of money in this car and want to do things right and safe as possible. This will be a driver and i will have at least three tunes. GOAL IS 450hp on most aggersive tune.

what im looking for is advice on boost gauge, fuel pressure gauge for inside car, turbo timmer and im thinking elec boost control. Also wide band o2 with gauge( i have used innovative on turbo eagle talon before, but was years ago). Also any other accessories that are needed or advised. I have all black gauge now and want to say that way. These gauge will be mounted on pillar(already have).

I would love to hear from you guys that have been there done that. The goods and the bads of the part you recommend and dont. All my experience with turbo cars are from the talon tsi i had, but thats different ball game. thanks for reading and let the conversion begain.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also im going to try and do a thread on my install of turbo kit from on3. ive done something like this before and its still one of top education threads at dsmtuners.com. It takes me a while to get all the info up but seems to be very helpful to others on forum. This is the thread i did, keep in mind its a eagle talon.

PR FMIC install and battery relocate - DSM Forums

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Gonna put a Holset on the 88? LOL. I had to say it before I clicked your link. I thought about using a holset and almost all the info I read was on DSM forums.
I use an Innovate MTX wideband that has interchangeable faces. Call Chris at Power Adder Solutions for the best deal on one.
I use a manual boost controller and dont have a fuel pressure gauge. I have A/F, boost, oil pressure, and water temp.
The best thing you can do is find a good tuner that can make a safe tune and keep the stock block in one piece.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gonna put a Holset on the 88? LOL. I had to say it before I clicked your link. I thought about using a holset and almost all the info I read was on DSM forums.
I use an Innovate MTX wideband that has interchangeable faces. Call Chris at Power Adder Solutions for the best deal on one.
I use a manual boost controller and dont have a fuel pressure gauge. I have A/F, boost, oil pressure, and water temp.
The best thing you can do is find a good tuner that can make a safe tune and keep the stock block in one piece.
LOL. i ran a big 16g turbo on my talon. Miss that car sometimes, but it was a bitch to work on. After 3 trans pull out i said f it and parted it. I had stupid money in that car.
I had an innovate wideband on talon to and never had any problem so guess i should use what i had good experience with. I am going to have JMS tune it for me, heard nothing but good from them, and when i called them they said they have done a lot of car with this set up. only reason i was think electric boost control was i figure i could tune it for low boost when driving around, then if i needed more power switch over to more boost and different tune.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
LOL. i ran a big 16g turbo on my talon. Miss that car sometimes, but it was a bitch to work on. After 3 trans pull out i said f it and parted it. I had stupid money in that car.
I had an innovate wideband on talon to and never had any problem so guess i should use what i had good experience with. I am going to have JMS tune it for me, heard nothing but good from them, and when i called them they said they have done a lot of car with this set up. only reason i was think electric boost control was i figure i could tune it for low boost when driving around, then if i needed more power switch over to more boost and different tune.
The electric controller and a street tune/race tune is a good idea. I thought about doing that but didnt want to spend the money on a controller for the small amount of street driving I do.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there so many out there i dont know which are good and which are chinese crap. I had a apex that cost me $500 about 6 or so yrs ago but my buddy conected it wrong and nuked it before i ever got to use it. I had it check out and could have fix it but apex would send us the part. So i was little upset with them. i see there are cheaper opition out there now, but not sure on quialty.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have a eboost street boost controller and like it . My car tuned for 8psi gets me about 450 hp/511 tq on a stock 4.6 . Been running it like that for a few yrs . I do run my boost controller to start at 5psi and if I want more power I just hit the button and it toggles to 8psi . The boost controller did cost more than I wanted to spend but its nice to have a few boost settings (3). Wish I bought it sooner .
Find a good tuner and get it tuned. Anything you get in the mail with out logging first is taking a big chance .

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
so you guys that have multiple boost levels, do you have a separate tune for each? Wondering how that works

1 - 9 of 9 Posts