Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, figure if I post here you guys would have a good solution. I'm taking my 1991 LX front bumper cover to install an oil cooler and other mods. I also want a good lightweight bumper support to replace the oem. Can anybody recommend one?
Team-Z sells one on LMR, but I also want to add a tow hook, and not sure if that one is strong enough? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
788 Posts
I've got one from FTR which is solid as hell, but it's an SN95 specific. Might wanna check with them, they might have something in teh works. Can't imagine it would be difficult to fab one up either, considering that foxbody has a pretty flat front.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I was about to buy one from Fully Torqued Racing (FTR) also but it seems they recently increased the prices by a bit. Donathen Racing is praised by drag racers and has several build options for what seems to be a competitive price.

Order/Shop

·
Registered
788 Posts
They increases the price because they went from mild steel to chromoly steel. I've got the chromoly one with FTR tow hook, and had to use it once already, when putting the car up on flat bed tow truck. Seemed fine to me.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yep that's exactly what I was thinking about. But the SN95 bumper is all hard steel.
What material is that? Is it just painted steel? What kind of drill bit cut thru that?

·
Premium Member
3,114 Posts
I think the bumper is a compressed fiberglass matte. We just used a normal hole saw to cut thru it. You can get hole saws with good blades for cutting steel.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Donathen racing. They make several different varieties of them. Nice piece.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yeah I see Donathen ,fully torqued and team-z but just trying to save money and need tow hooks and brake duct intake etc.
Seems like reducing weight on current bumper may be a viable option.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
are these all out track cars or street cars?

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
gotcha

i know one will definitely gain lot of clearance by going to tubular but thought that the plastic front bumpers on '87 and up cars were already pretty light plus offer protection vs saving how much weight (???) and offer no protection. didn't some '79s come with aluminum front bumpers that offered more clearance?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts