Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went and looked at it yesterday and it's really fuggin clean.

2001 Cobra, 101k miles.

Has: 4.10 gears, SRA swap, o/r x, flowmaster catback, lowering springs with newish shocks/struts, short throw shifter.

Also has a new clutch, rebuilt transmission, new power steering pump, new spark plugs, recent oil change.

The rear end has a "clunk" noise. I've yet to hear it, since I haven't driven it yet. Also has valve tick at around 2200rpm and minor oil leak coming from the front of the motor somewhere. Could use rear brake rotors soon.

Is valve tick normal for the 4v motor? Anything else I should look for in particular?

Will be getting the car into the dealership tomorrow to pinpoint the oil leak and rear end clunk as well as I'll be driving it.

The guy is asking $8,000.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Looks like a great deal to me. The rear-end clunk is the infamous "Cobra Clunk" which is best fixed by a Full-Tilt Boogie Racing bushing kit. It will make the IRS much stronger and plant the rear end better. Many of the older "C" head motors had ticking issues, it was a TSB for the 03-04 Cobras. It shouldn't be that big of a deal. Check to make sure it's not an exhaust leak though. Looks like a very clean example though- I would pick it up in a heartbeat for that price.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like a great deal to me. The rear-end clunk is the infamous "Cobra Clunk" which is best fixed by a Full-Tilt Boogie Racing bushing kit. It will make the IRS much stronger and plant the rear end better. Many of the older "C" head motors had ticking issues, it was a TSB for the 03-04 Cobras. It shouldn't be that big of a deal. Check to make sure it's not an exhaust leak though. Looks like a very clean example though- I would pick it up in a heartbeat for that price.
It has a solid axle conversion.

Drove it today. Holy #### it pulls so much harder than the GT does, but it spins bad.

Things I found out today that it needs:

Rear differential needs to be resealed. It's leaking a little
Front case in leaking oil (not a major leak) and needs to be resealed
Needs tires. Current ones are bald

With those things, what would you guys say is a fair price?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts