Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went to 5 lug on my fox and the threaded sleves for the coil over are barely long enough with the adjusting nut all the way to the top to get the same ride height as before. I cant run a longer spring as i need the clearance for the tire. Is there a longer threaded sleve? BTW these are Griggs coil over kit with the short (10" i think) spring on Koni Yellows.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
You could try the longer spring, then just dial out some negative camber at the spindle to damper mount and then gain back the negative camber at the camber plate.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
qtracer, If i add spacers below the cc plate it will make the car lower. What i need to do is flip the plate so the tall part is pointing down.

2k2gt, I lost camber already with the conversion. I need to add more by slotting the strut so no way the longer spring will work.

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
qtracer, If i add spacers below the cc plate it will make the car lower. What i need to do is flip the plate so the tall part is pointing down.
I'm looking at my MM C/O for Bilsteins and see that if I put more spacers under the CC plate, the whole strut/CO/spindle component would move down effectively raising the ride height of the car with no other changes. Also, I'd lose some bump travel on the strut if I adjusted the srping height to lower the car back to the original ride height. YMMV

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
I'm looking at my MM C/O for Bilsteins and see that if I put more spacers under the CC plate, the whole strut/CO/spindle component would move down effectively raising the ride height of the car with no other changes. Also, I'd lose some bump travel on the strut if I adjusted the srping height to lower the car back to the original ride height. YMMV
Might be a terminology thing. Seems to me that if you add spacers under the plate, you're moving the whole spring package's upper point of location higher, which would lower the car. If you add spacers under the bearing, you're lowering the spring package's upper location, raising the car.

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
Might be a terminology thing. Seems to me that if you add spacers under the plate, you're moving the whole spring package's upper point of location higher, which would lower the car. If you add spacers under the bearing, you're lowering the spring package's upper location, raising the car.
Sloppy terminology on my part. I wasn't thinking disconnect the CC plate; only disconnecting the strut, adding spacers "under the CC plate" and reinstalling the strut. Should have said add spacers between the top of the strut and bottom of the CC plate bearing.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I like the spacer idea....if you can keep enough threads poking through the C/C plate bearing for enough thread engagement.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I cant add any spacers to the shaft. It has only 1 thread sticking out past the nut now. Is it possible to stack the threaded collars on the strut? I have an old pair from Griggs that ars for the long springs. I could cut a 2" piece out of them to put below the ones on the carso the threads go all the way to the top of the strut body..

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Just brainstorming now...

You could possibly call MM and ask if they'll sell one of their "base collars" they use in the Bilstein coil over kits. It's like a two piece collar that clamps on the spring to give the coil over a flat/uniform base.

The shiny gold(probably pure gold)pieces in this photo:
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=514_2_78&products_id=279

Kinda weird that they use that piece for the Bilstein kit, but use the notched threaded sleeve(like all the other "lesser brands" have used forever).

·
Registered
111 Posts
This is what I did on my bilstiens. Took a piece of 2" schedule 80 pipe and ground it out till it fit over the strut housing and then set the maximum motorsports stuff on top of it. All the rest of the reinforcement there was to fix bent mounting tabs

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Here are my coils/struts pre-installed (center photo of article):

After install:

Yeah, close to maxed-out, but not quite.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts