Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a Hurst Quarter Stick shifter on the way...and seeing as I'm converting from a manual setup to auto I have two choices (both of which require fabrication). First off is simply locating the shifter in the stock manual shift location and second is to locate it where the ashtray resides.

Now for the questions. Has anyone regretted moving their auto shifter to their ashtray? Those that haven't, does the shifter interfere with the cd player?

I'm ~ 6'2" and while I don't push the seat all the way back....I push it almost all the way. It seems that shifting from park to drive would be the only problem...if at all.

Lastly, lets see some pics!!!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I've got a Hurst Quarter Stick shifter on the way...and seeing as I'm converting from a manual setup to auto I have two choices (both of which require fabrication). First off is simply locating the shifter in the stock manual shift location and second is to locate it where the ashtray resides.

Now for the questions. Has anyone regretted moving their auto shifter to their ashtray? Those that haven't, does the shifter interfere with the cd player?

I'm ~ 6'2" and while I don't push the seat all the way back....I push it almost all the way. It seems that shifting from park to drive would be the only problem...if at all.

Lastly, lets see some pics!!!

i like mine int he ashtray area- it is a "lil" close to you(im 6'1)-- i cant move the seat back due to the roll bar but i really like the feel-- alot better than reaching for it in the stock t5 location IMO - mines not a Hurst Qes Stick but same purpose.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That looks great man! Do you think you could still reach it if it were located in the stock location with those 5pt harnesses?

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have had my quarter stick in both locations. I liked the ashtray location but it made shifting at the track a little hard. It seems that going into high didn't feel natural the pull was too close to me. The exact opposite is in the stock location where I have it now. Going from park is a bit of a reach but in foward gears it feels perfect which is what I want. You might have to shim or tweek the mounting if you have a CD player so the small leaver won't hit it.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I had a aod hatch back when I was younger and decided to do that. I installed a b +m shifter in the astray spot and made a little blockoff plate for the original spot. Worked out well.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have had my quarter stick in both locations. I liked the ashtray location but it made shifting at the track a little hard. It seems that going into high didn't feel natural the pull was too close to me. The exact opposite is in the stock location where I have it now. Going from park is a bit of a reach but in foward gears it feels perfect which is what I want. You might have to shim or tweek the mounting if you have a CD player so the small leaver won't hit it.
I'm assuming you had a reverse VB...do you imagine it would feel just as awkward with a std. shift pattern?

One more thing worth mentioning is my CD player has a fold down face to expose the disc slot. Is this going to pose a bigger clearance issue than those running an exposed disc slot player? I would have no problem throwing it into neutral from park to put a disc in...but having to drop it down to 2nd or 1st would be a deal-breaker.

Keep em coming guys...thanks!

·
Registered
93 Posts
holcomb motorsports makes a plate to mount the shifter in the stock location i have the same shifter you have and it works great I even used the 5 speed boot to cover everything up.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
holcomb motorsports makes a plate to mount the shifter in the stock location i have the same shifter you have and it works great I even used the 5 speed boot to cover everything up.
I've seen it...but making one myself should be easy enough...and would be $50 better spent elsewhere. Thanks though! :cool:

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought the car like this, it seems to work for me. I do like the position the shifter is at, you don't have to reach forward. It's a comfortable spot.
Hmm, I never thought if doing that. Very nice! :cool:

·
Registered
711 Posts

1 - 15 of 15 Posts