Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a set of Victor Jr. Heads and EFI Spyder intake at a local machine shop for a few years now. I have called every 5-6 months or so just to make sure all is well. The parts sat due to changes with my combo, and life getting in the way of my projects. I have spent thousands of dollors over the years with this company. They have my last name written on all of my parts. They have my phone number. I have used them for 10 years.

I called today to inform them they I would be stopping by on wednesday on my day off to drop off some stuff for them and asked if the work was complete on the heads and intake and how much I owed them. He remembered who I was just like every other time we spoke. He went to look where the parts where last and said they werent there. I asked him "what do you mean?" and he said he's not sure, maybe they sold them, maybe they are in storage. I was shocked to say the least, but remained calm. This was at 11:30am today.

I reminded him about our last conversation roughly 6 months prior; I called and said "hey Randy it's been a while since we last spoke, just wanted to check it to make sure you didnt sell my stuff LOL" and he laughed back and said of course not. We chatted a bit, I updated him on the project, asked a few questions, and that was it.

So I wait an hour and call back at 12:30pm. Randy said he hasn't had time to check storage and it would be later, towards the end of the day.

I call back at 4. The owner Wayne answers. I brief him on what's going on. He doesnt seem to care at all and said I can call back to talk with Randy tomorrow.

I realize that the parts were there far too long, but Randy assured me on multiple occasions that nothing would happen to my parts.

What the hell do I do? I have remained calm and respectful but if they sold my parts I'm going to lose my #####!

I pray they call back tomorrow and say they found them in storage.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have a receipt or any piece of paper that could be used as evidence that you left your parts at this machine shop?
I doubt it. I'll have to do some serious digging.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I have always been happy with the work that Wayne Calvert has done for me. Leaving stuff there long term only opens the door for things like this. Don't ever leave things there for too long!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well good news so far, they found the intake! This was my main concern since it cant reall be replaced. It's a hand polished victor jr with EFI bungs and port work. They are still searching for the heads. I have hope since they found a list of parts they have sold in the past and my heads are not on there! If they find the heads too I'll be being them a case of beer lol

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They have officially told me they can not find my heads. They can't find a receipt for when they sold them but they say they have looked high and low and can't find them anywhere

·
Registered
763 Posts
Only the shop here to blame. They should have designated areas for customer parts. If time was a concern, notification must be made and documented with terms. Unless there is a clear agreement at time of drop off with receipt of work to be done in a given time frame, met with pickup and payment within another amount of time. They obviously had no problem keeping the money, which I'm sure was well above the cost of labor and parts done if it even was. This isn't 1950, a customer profile is keep electronically with work order(s) opened and closed, with details of parts, labor, and payment.

·
Premium Member
2,351 Posts
Had this happen once. They claimed they could sell my stuff because it was abandoned parts. Pissed me off, but it was my fault for not "storing" them at my place instead of at that shop. After so much time stuff like this can happen. Unless you were paying a monthly storage fee for the parts I think you are going to have to take the loss. 6 months, no word, parts been there for a few years. For all they knew you moved or died. It is not their responsibility to check in with you to see if you still want the stuff. Obviously in their mind you did not. It sucks, but I doubt that the sign on the shop says "Parts Storage".

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Only the shop here to blame. They should have designated areas for customer parts. If time was a concern, notification must be made and documented with terms. Unless there is a clear agreement at time of drop off with receipt of work to be done in a given time frame, met with pickup and payment within another amount of time. They obviously had no problem keeping the money, which I'm sure was well above the cost of labor and parts done if it even was. This isn't 1950, a customer profile is keep electronically with work order(s) opened and closed, with details of parts, labor, and payment.
I agree with this 100%. Especially the fact that I have spent thousands of dollars with them.

And are they going to reimburse your lost?

I told him that I'll obviously need more port matching since I have to find a new set of heads, and I'll need my camshaft degreed and possibly some other machine work done. We said he "may" be able to cover that for me to help out.

The craziest thing is they keep receipts to parts they sell and they can't find it. Maybe the heads were stolen? Then they'd be liable, but there is juts no proof.

Had this happen once. They claimed they could sell my stuff because it was abandoned parts. Pissed me off, but it was my fault for not "storing" them at my place instead of at that shop. After so much time stuff like this can happen. Unless you were paying a monthly storage fee for the parts I think you are going to have to take the loss. 6 months, no word, parts been there for a few years. For all they knew you moved or died. It is not their responsibility to check in with you to see if you still want the stuff. Obviously in their mind you did not. It sucks, but I doubt that the sign on the shop says "Parts Storage".
There is also no sign saying that they will sell your #### if you dont come get it within a certain time period.

·
Premium Member
2,351 Posts
There is also no sign saying that they will sell your #### if you dont come get it within a certain time period.
I am not saying they are morally right in selling your stuff. I am just pointing out that they are legally able to do so. Would a phone call from them been nice to let you know to come and get your stuff? Sure, but they don't have to. It would also have been nice if you had touched base more than once every 6 friggen months. Otherwise you are asking them to store your stuff...for free. If they do it for you, how many other people would do the same? How much stuff are they supposed to store? How many square feet of space are they required to set aside for projects that someday a few years from now, someone might want to finish? How much money are they supposed to lose while people let their stuff lay around for years?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am not saying they are morally right in selling your stuff. I am just pointing out that they are legally able to do so. Would a phone call from them been nice to let you know to come and get your stuff? Sure, but they don't have to. It would also have been nice if you had touched base more than once every 6 friggen months. Otherwise you are asking them to store your stuff...for free. If they do it for you, how many other people would do the same? How much stuff are they supposed to store? How many square feet of space are they required to set aside for projects that someday a few years from now, someone might want to finish? How much money are they supposed to lose while people let their stuff lay around for years?
I never wanted anything stored for free. They could have charged me a storage fee. I would have gladly paid it.

·
Registered
25,699 Posts
You must not be too upset if you are considering having them do more work for you on the new set of heads.

·
Premium Member
2,351 Posts
I never wanted anything stored for free. They could have charged me a storage fee. I would have gladly paid it.
Then this all could have been avoided with a little more communication on your part. It is your stuff, you are the customer, it is your responsibility to stay on top of your stuff. Not a good situation all around, thats for sure.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You must not be too upset if you are considering having them do more work for you on the new set of heads.
How does that mean I'm not too upset? I'm trying to recoup my loss as much as possible. They do good work, just doesn't seem like they have morals.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts