Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with this booster?

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-2005G-FOX/79-93-mustang-sn-95-brake-booster-kit

I just called LMR as i'm still running my stock 93GT booster on my car thats been upgraded to 00R Brembos front with SN95 Cobra rear brakes and they suggested i go with this model as its easier to install on the fox cars.

I'm currently running a 94-95 MC but have a 93 Cobra 1" MC waiting to go on. Which booster would I be better off with?

·
Registered
8,420 Posts
Looks liek your standard 94-95 Reman booster. Price is a bit high, and i'd hop on rockauto.com and see what a reman goes for on there. I'd even probably recommend getting the 1993 cobra booster which is similiar with the correct fox-specific bolt stud pattern.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
personally i'm running stock on mine as i didn't like the feel of the 94-95 one in friend's car

·
Registered
8,420 Posts
I tried the stock one with my m2300k setup and 1" MC. Didn't like it. Added the SN95 booster and I love my brakes these days

·
Registered
861 Posts
I tried the stock one with my m2300k setup and 1" MC. Didn't like it. Added the SN95 booster and I love my brakes these days
I run a 4cyl booster to be exact (in great shape too), along with the full J&M braided line kit (including axle to body) for a fox with 94-95 grade rear cobra setup and 04 mach 1 front. Coupled with a 93 cobra 1" MC that I bought new from Dorman, it's got a great pedal feel. I also power bled the system so it's pretty much airless. It's kind of interesting how similar combinations are so far apart in pedal feel though.

·
Registered
8,420 Posts
I'd imagine personal preference plays a huge role as well.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
It's kind of interesting how similar combinations are so far apart in pedal feel though.
I'd imagine personal preference plays a huge role as well.
I agree with Mustang5L5 - not everyone wants the pedal to feel the same way, and it's awfully hard for anyone to quantify "hard pedal"/"firm pedal" vs "soft pedal" vs "good pedal".

In a thread a while back, Jack Hidley commented that SN95 boosters are too much on a Fox if you're using brakes bigger than 11" up front. He and I have largely the same setup - Stoptechs up front, Baer 12" rear, SN95 booster - he thinks they are far too sensitive and suck, I think they're just fine. (One thing missing from that comparison is what MC he's using, as that would obviously also play into the pedal feel.) As I said in that thread, maybe my old Fox booster wasn't working properly and that's why I found the SN95 booster to be so much better. If that's the case, maybe I would be happier with a fully functional Fox booster, but it's such a pain in the ass to swap them out, that I don't have any intention to find out!

·
Registered
302 Posts
I recall that thread you mention Patrick...

I have Wilwood Superlites with 1.62 pistons and 13” rotors on the front of my CMC car along with the Cobra setup on the rear. I am using a ‘94 master cylinder with the sn95 booster... once the pads get some heat in them the brakes are very difficult to modulate. I find I have to be too careful in brake zones or I will lock them up... My Fox “streetcar” has Cobra brakes with a sn95 GT master cylinder and Fox booster... it has a nice firm pedal that is very easy to modulate. I have been considering swapping to a Fox booster on the race car but just haven’t gotten around to it...

·
Registered
8,420 Posts
My Fox “streetcar” has Cobra brakes with a sn95 GT master cylinder and Fox booster... it has a nice firm pedal that is very easy to modulate. I have been considering swapping to a Fox booster on the race car but just haven’t gotten around to it...
Just to further expand on the personal preference aspect. I had this same setup on my Fox initially. Mach 1 fronts, cobra rears, Sn95 Gt MC and fox booster, and hated the way the brakes felt. Too firm requiring too much pedal effort. i didn't have confidence in a panic stop situation.

Swapped to a 1993 cobra MC. They were better, but still not where i wanted it to be. Swapped in the Sn95 MC and they were perfect for my use on a street car. Very little pedal effort to stop and i haven't had issues with premature lockup, but i'm also not on the braking threshold ever single time i'm on the brakes. I've always preferred responsive, overboosted brakes that require very little effort to achieve strong braking performance.

On a track car, your requirements/needs/preference may be different. But i couldn't imagine going back to a fox booster on my personal setup anymore.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Damn it fellas now I am lost!

Got 00R Brembo fronts+Cobra rears with a 93 Cobra master......do I need the booster off a 93 Cobra as well??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
913 Posts
Just to further expand on the personal preference aspect. I had this same setup on my Fox initially. Mach 1 fronts, cobra rears, Sn95 Gt MC and fox booster, and hated the way the brakes felt. Too firm requiring too much pedal effort. i didn't have confidence in a panic stop situation.

Swapped to a 1993 cobra MC. They were better, but still not where i wanted it to be. Swapped in the Sn95 MC and they were perfect for my use on a street car. Very little pedal effort to stop and i haven't had issues with premature lockup, but i'm also not on the braking threshold ever single time i'm on the brakes. I've always preferred responsive, overboosted brakes that require very little effort to achieve strong braking performance.

On a track car, your requirements/needs/preference may be different. But i couldn't imagine going back to a fox booster on my personal setup anymore.

Did you go with the regular SN95 MC (1 1/16" bore) or the SN95 Cobra MC (15/16" bore). I'd like to experiment with a little less leg pressure as well with my current setup. '00 Cobra R front, Baer 12" rear, SN95 booster, '93 Cobra MC.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,420 Posts
Did you go with the regular SN95 MC (1 1/16" bore) or the SN95 Cobra MC (15/16" bore). I'd like to experiment with a little less leg pressure as well with my current setup. '00 Cobra R front, Baer 12" rear, SN95 booster, '93 Cobra MC.

Thanks.
Initially i used the SN95 GT 1 1/16" MC with a stock Fox Booster with the M-2300-K setup. I pieced the setup together and thats what i had for an MC and i decided to give it a try. Pedal was stiff, and travel was short. Needed a lot of leg effort to stop.

Swapped to a 1993 cobra MC. The travel length was longer and pedal effort was more reasonable. Drove like this a while but never loved how the brakes felt. So i swapped in an SN95 booster and was satisfied after that.

But the drop of 1/16" in MC size did make a noticeable reduction in pedal effort

·
Registered
913 Posts
Okay, so to clarify, you're now using the '93 Cobra MC with the SN95 booster.... Thank you.

·
Registered
8,420 Posts
Okay, so to clarify, you're now using the '93 Cobra MC with the SN95 booster.... Thank you.

Correct. 1" bore 1993 Cobra MC and Sn95 booster.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Sorry for the late reply. Yea the Cobra MC 1" and the stock booster feels good. It's very tight though and doesn't have the typical "squish" you get. However, the entire system is braided stainless with new fluid, and new everything. So it's tight to begin with. I would certainly take into account what type of brake lines you're running when selecting a master if you're really concerned with feedback.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts