Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to a buddies house to weigh one of his totally stripped saleen wheels. 28 f*&#$#* pounds!!!!! This is stripped bare. So needless to say, i'm sure my saleen chromies must weigh around 31lbs a piece (nickel, copper, chrome plated). Its unfortunate, because I really like the look, but I think i will be unloading these rims for sure. Here is where I need your help: I dont have much scratch to spend on rims since I already plan to purchase some GT/cobra stocker rims and some used RR tires (for the next open track season). I would love some BBS RK's or CCW classics, but its not gonna happen anytime soon. So what options are available for a lightweight and affordable street tire? I'm open to 17" or 18" options...

And yes i've searched, but nothing i've found really tackles this topic. And i've seen the wheel weight list on Modular Depot and IMHO, its not accurate...

thanks all!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,264 Posts
blacksnake305 said:
So I went to a buddies house to weigh one of his totally stripped saleen wheels. 28 f*&#$#* pounds!!!!! This is stripped bare. So needless to say, i'm sure my saleen chromies must weigh around 31lbs a piece (nickel, copper, chrome plated). Its unfortunate, because I really like the look, but I think i will be unloading these rims for sure. Here is where I need your help: I dont have much scratch to spend on rims since I already plan to purchase some GT/cobra stocker rims and some used RR tires (for the next open track season). I would love some BBS RK's or CCW classics, but its not gonna happen anytime soon. So what options are available for a lightweight and affordable street tire? I'm open to 17" or 18" options...

And yes i've searched, but nothing i've found really tackles this topic. And i've seen the wheel weight list on Modular Depot and IMHO, its not accurate...

thanks all!
Maybe it's time for a group purchase on some Forgelines..... dreaming doesn't cost anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
If you're budget is tight, a set of '95 Cobra R rims are a decent option at around 22-23lbs each. Good looking, right sizing at 17" x 9", factory engineered and plentiful on the used market.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
svtruck said:
If you're budget is tight, a set of '95 Cobra R rims are a decent option at around 22-23lbs each. Good looking, right sizing at 17" x 9", factory engineered and plentiful on the used market.
If you go this route I would suggest getting the 58 instead of the 50 Cobra Rs. The 58s are lighter by a pound or two, and I believe that they are forged. You can tell the difference on the back of the wheel the 58s were made in Japan and the 50s are made in the USA.

They are the same price on FRPP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
These Konig Villains look to be a good 95R alternative and the price isn't bad either. Just something I heard and saw about the Saleen wheels. I was having some parts powder coated. The guy was powder coating a set of Saleen wheels at the time. He was complaining that the casting was of poor quality. You could see small pot marks all around where air bubbles had escaped through the casting. He had a set of Ford "Pony" wheels and the finish after the powder coating was nice and smooth in comparison.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/konig.asp
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
637 Posts
Unfortunately, light weight cost money..... I have the American Racing "rebel" wheels.... They also look great but are not very light..... and proper "racing wheels" are expensive.... I would try to find some used sets if you really want to save cash.....

Also, as a side not I've got a full set (4) of Good Year F1 Eagles 275/35/18. They are new still with the labels on them and have never been mounted. Somebody told me the other day they were rated very high if not first. I'm going to a bigger size and exchanging them looks like it'll be more trouble than it's worth..... If this size will work for you, I'd love to sell them.... Anything "remotely" close to the $250ea that I paid for them would be great.... IM me if you're interested.....

DV
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
SoftBatch said:
If you go this route I would suggest getting the 58 instead of the 50 Cobra Rs. The 58s are lighter by a pound or two, and I believe that they are forged. You can tell the difference on the back of the wheel the 58s were made in Japan and the 50s are made in the USA.

They are the same price on FRPP.
I don't think either is forged, they are both cast aluminum. The R58 is the original type that was on the '95 R. The R50 is the "remake" with wider spokes. I think they weight about the same. I'd go with either the original R58 Cobra R wheels or the Konig Villians are a good option as well.

Here is some information on the differences between wheel construction types:

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/0205scc_wheelguide/

Forged wheels, ala most BBS models, are much more expensive than cast aluminum wheels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,262 Posts
The original R58s were "pressure cast" according to the FRPP catalogs. The catalog made it sound like that was better than normal casting. I dunno. I do know that guys have been running them on track for 10 years now and they seem to do the job just fine. They're not super light at 22-23#, but to go much lighter than that and still be strong enough for racing = forged = $$$ (as already discussed).

MM apparently hasn't had any troubles racing their various cars on the Konig Villians. If they had had any problems they'd be the first ones to let everybody know about it, so based on that I'd say the Villians are another excellent option and the price is certainly reasonable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,197 Posts
As Patrick said, the R58 wheels are pressure cast, and he's right that they're better than a normal casting. It mostly reduces the amount of porosity in the wheels. It also lets them bend rather than break like the R50s and copies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
Considering that, its strange that they're the same price and the R50s don't look as nice...at least IMHO. I've got a set of R58s in my garage...got a good deal on them used...waiting for r-comps eventually.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top