Ford Mustang Forums banner

Light weight AGM battery?

7K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Mark O'Neal 
#1 ·
Looking for a new battery. Since the red top I had sat not being used on the stang for a year and a half, I put it in the truck several months ago. Now I need a new one for the stang. My car is a weekend cruiser not a daily or a drag car.

I have a full stereo system with sub, electric fan, fuel injection, a/c, etc. I’m hoping now a days they have something lightweight that compares to a yellow or red top. Most importantly will last a long time sitting for a month or whatever. I do plan to have it on a maintainer.

Hopefully light weight as well.

Any suggestions? TIA.

#2 ·
Do you run a capacitor in the stereo? Do you have enough alternator?

If so, then the battery should only really be used to start the car, right?

I run an Odyssey PC925LMJ. It is 23.8lbs, according to their specs. It is small and it works, but I keep it on a battery tender because I don't drive the car much.

Attachments

Reactions: tmoss
#3 ·
First and foremost - GIG ‘EM! How are things in the motherland?

I bought a chrome, one wire, tuff stuff high amp alternator. I don’t know how many amps but it was more than 130 or I wouldn’t have bought it. I threw away the box. Haven’t ran it yet. If there’s an issue with it I’ll look for a chrome 3g. Or get my old 3g polished.

#6 ·
This place is growing like crazy, but it still feels small town enough. Wife and I don't want to move back to Houston or San Antonio if we don't have to. Gig Em!

Ultimately, a lightweight battery is nice, but you gotta make sure it'll last with your setup and driving habits. I'd much rather have a reliable battery than save the weight of two gallons of gas.

#4 ·
I gave up on lightweight, ended up getting a Group 34 X2 Power from Batteries Plus. I actually got the 34/78 version with the side terminals. Used it to hook up my Holley unit, others might use it to hook stereo direct to battery.

It weighs a few more pounds than the same size Optima. I also had to extend the hold-down by adding a plate due to Group 34 being narrower.

Attachments

#5 ·
I run this in my SxS and my mustang.

https://4xspower.com/shop/12v-agm/s-series/s925/

Had 0 problems and it runs my E-fan, radio, Nitrous programmer, heater, AC, you name it.

Also my fan is set to stay on till the Radiator drops temp, So when I'm at the track it may stay on for a few min + have the bottle heater running maybe 20min before my next pass never had a problem.

Attachments

#7 ·
When it comes to the higher end like the XS or the Odyssey make sure to look at how they are tested. Example, Odyssey is tested at a much lower standard to get close to the same numbers as XS. If I remember correctly Odyssey is tested at 32deg and XS is tested at 0deg some battery are even tested at 70deg.

#12 ·
Just wanna note that the X2Power AGM battery (made by Northstar) I linked to above has a 5 year warranty - a big selling point for me whereas my Cougar sits idle a LOT. Also, it's a standard BCI Group 34 size. I was able to easily adapt my OEM (same as Mustang) battery tray to hold it down and know I can use any Group 34 battery going forward. Odyssey and XS power have 2-4 year warranties and often require creating unique mounting arrangements (I did the lightweight Odyssey thing). Besides the weird battery box that was rejected by tech, I was also paranoid to use my stereo or lights in the staging lanes, and the battery lasted 2 seasons before croaking. Now I can feel comfortable that I will get a replacement battery if it dies within 5 years.

#17 ·
I got another red top. The two in my truck lasted 8 years, 300k miles, and came back to life many times when the truck sat for a month and had to be jumped off.

I guess the weight is negligible on my car since I don’t race. As mentioned, it’s about the savings of a couple gallons of gas. Also, I was able to buy it at the parts house in a small town on a Sunday.

There’s good info in this thread though. Thanks for the replies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.