Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I posted a thread in the 5.0 engine tech section about anderson cam lifter preloads. Here's the deal. Went from my normal setting of 1/2 turn preload on the lifters (because they made noise at start up) to what Rick at Anderson Motorsports recommends which is 1 full turn. I have made no other changes and the weather here as been better than normal (cooler) and the car as almost lost a tenth at the track. Has anyone ever played with lifter preloads and seen anything at the track? Does this make any sense? Would tighter lifter preload change anything else such as A/F ratios or timing settings? The car is always consistent and that has not changed it's just a tad slower in e.t. and mph. Rick said it should of made more rpm and power up top. Any thoughts?????

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm using Anderson Hi rev springs. My thinking is that the more preload you run, the more pressure you place on the lifters and cam which in return slows the acceleration of the motor down. Or I'm i missing something here.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I run the TFS stage 1 cam, I tried 1/4-1/2-3/4...mine went fastest at 1/2. Almost 2 tenths faster than 3/4 turn.
Yeah, I have been off almost a tenth and almost 1 mph in the 1/8 ever since I adjusted mine to a full turn. I will probally go back to 1/2 turn and see if I'm correct. My rockers make a little noise on start up at a 1/2 turn and was quite at a full turn.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Yeah, I have been off almost a tenth and almost 1 mph in the 1/8 ever since I adjusted mine to a full turn. I will probally go back to 1/2 turn and see if I'm correct. My rockers make a little noise on start up at a 1/2 turn and was quite at a full turn.
Yeah I get a little noise also, but I can live with it. lol. Anything for performance...that's what it's all about. My 2 tenths gain was in the 1/4 by the way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts