Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Building a Dart 363 with 300 shot of nitrous. I want the best I can buy Synchronized TKO 600

So Liberty is the only one I see talked about. Upgraded its $3,104 with shifter

Back in the day Hanlon was talked about a ton and always good. They are $3,030 also with upgrades.

Back in the day MMR was talked about a ton and always good. (I talked to them and they said the Pro 900 was $2,800 with shifter thats with all upgrades) I asked how high it would shift he said he shifts his Coyote at 9k rpms no problem. They also claim its good for 900hp or 9sec @ 150mph. He just said break-in was very important and correct fluid and have a good clutch I told him I was going dual Friction he said that was perfect thats what he uses.

Question is simple MMR looks like a no brainer but most aren't using them. Why? What am I missing?

I'm not a troll or anything I'm on my second build you can check me out. Its just not adding up I would think for the money and power rating everyone would be using MMR or I'm missing something?

This is my latest build.
https://forums.corral.net/forums/member-build-up-projects/2484040-93-cobra-363ci-5speed-build.html

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ended up doing a T56 magnum and ordered from Hanlon. After calling them and looking at reviews to me they were the best choice.

·
Registered
639 Posts
With the road racing ratios, the 5th and 6th gears will be better without needing such a steep rear gearset. I think you made a wise choice. Transmission is rugged, and shifts quite nicely. I'm sure it will take whatever you dish it.

I have the wide ratio in my '95, with 3.73 gears, 5th works well on the highway, 6th is what I would call a "high speed" gear. The car is built for road course tracks, 363 with solid roller and single plane manifold (still SEFI though) doesn't make great lower rpm torque as yours will.

I bought my T-56 from Bill Walsh at D&D Performance in Michigan, I really enjoyed talking with a legend in the 5.0 scene, transaction and customer service was exemplary.

Jay

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With the road racing ratios, the 5th and 6th gears will be better without needing such a steep rear gearset. I think you made a wise choice. Transmission is rugged, and shifts quite nicely. I'm sure it will take whatever you dish it.

I have the wide ratio in my '95, with 3.73 gears, 5th works well on the highway, 6th is what I would call a "high speed" gear. The car is built for road course tracks, 363 with solid roller and single plane manifold (still SEFI though) doesn't make great lower rpm torque as yours will.

I bought my T-56 from Bill Walsh at D&D Performance in Michigan, I really enjoyed talking with a legend in the 5.0 scene, transaction and customer service was exemplary.

Jay
I called them (D&D) and it was like press 1 to order or questions email. So I was out. The info on the website was out of date also. So I wasn't sure if they were really still open or just had a name and can still sell stuff.

I ended up getting the .63 6th due too. They quit making the .50 in 2019. Due to this I got the 2.66 1st they offer both the 2.66 and 2.97 now with the .63 6th.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I bought the T-56 probably 5 or 6 years ago, so my experience can't be considered current.

On the other hand, the A5 stuff I ordered from Astro still has not been shipped yet. Tony has been providing excellent communications with me via e-mail, sometimes small businesses don't have the personnel to provide great phone support and still get work done in a timely manner (small business owner here, I sympathize).

Try to get Ed Curtis on the phone, fine example of not enough hours in the day for a busy guy whom can't be on the phone, and still get anything done. He doesn't even provide a phone number. The World is changing how business is being done, and not necessarily for the better IMHO.

I've just crossed the retirement age threshold, so of course I remember how things were done before the internet age. Just have to remember that was a different time.

Jay

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
9k rpm with a synchro trans? subscribing.
End result on this was all they do is Harden the gears. Stock sycchro so. I didn't buy into it. Many claim to have problems so I did go this route.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I received the Astro gear set yesterday, just finished building the 485 version A5. The difference between the 485 and 575 torque versions is the main/output shaft. Higher rated version is using the Astro shaft, I opted for the stocker which should be sufficient for my purposes.

Don't mean to derail, or go off topic, but I would just like to mention that I am hugely impressed with the quality, and pure beefiness of the Astro gears and counter gear shaft. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind the A5 is a viable solution where a TKO, or T56 Magnum could be used. Allow for a LOT of lead time!

Additional benefits of the A5, and why I chose it for my daily car is the easy shifting (same as stock T5), lighter than a T56, and no fitment modifications required. Basically only requirement is a 26 spline clutch disk. It is my understanding the A5 makes a bit more noise than a stock T5, small price IMHO.

Jay

·
Registered
847 Posts
I received the Astro gear set yesterday, just finished building the 485 version A5. The difference between the 485 and 575 torque versions is the main/output shaft. Higher rated version is using the Astro shaft, I opted for the stocker which should be sufficient for my purposes.

Don't mean to derail, or go off topic, but I would just like to mention that I am hugely impressed with the quality, and pure beefiness of the Astro gears and counter gear shaft. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind the A5 is a viable solution where a TKO, or T56 Magnum could be used. Allow for a LOT of lead time!

Additional benefits of the A5, and why I chose it for my daily car is the easy shifting (same as stock T5), lighter than a T56, and no fitment modifications required. Basically only requirement is a 26 spline clutch disk. It is my understanding the A5 makes a bit more noise than a stock T5, small price IMHO.

Jay
I’ve got the 575 version of the a5 and it shifts like a stock t5. If it does make any more noise than a regular t5, I haven’t noticed it. Just smooth operation. I’d buy another

·
Registered
639 Posts
I’ve got the 575 version of the a5 and it shifts like a stock t5. If it does make any more noise than a regular t5, I haven’t noticed it. Just smooth operation. I’d buy another
Did you assemble your transmission or have them do it? Would definitely have been easier to send it in, doing the job myself really gave me an appreciation for the difference between the stock parts and the Astro parts, not to mention the feeling of accomplishment from knowing you did it yourself.

I forgot one other benefit of the A5, it sucks less driveline horsepower than a T56, not sure about the TKO. With less helical cut, the A5 is even more efficient than a standard T5. I'm guessing the same is true with the TKO.

Jay

·
Registered
847 Posts
Did you assemble your transmission or have them do it? Would definitely have been easier to send it in, doing the job myself really gave me an appreciation for the difference between the stock parts and the Astro parts, not to mention the feeling of accomplishment from knowing you did it yourself.

I forgot one other benefit of the A5, it sucks less driveline horsepower than a T56, not sure about the TKO. With less helical cut, the A5 is even more efficient than a standard T5. I'm guessing the same is true with the TKO.

Jay
No, I had tony assemble mine. He’s close enough to me that I could place my order, then pick up the trans and drop off my core for the warranty.

I’ve heard the same thing about the angle of the cut on the a5 gears being beneficial in terms of less driveline loss. How much? Who knows. Even a percentage of two can make a difference though.

I absolutely love how the a5 shifts, very smooth and super crisp. If you didn’t know better you’d swear up and down it’s a standard t5 that just rolled off the assembly line. Then you drop the clutch with 420whp and it reminds you it’s not lol.

Really the only negative about Astro is there can be a bit of a wait to get your trans. Tony only has a certain amount to parts machined at a time. So if you’re not on the list, you’re probably going to wait a bit. Hell even if you are lucky enough to get on, you still may have a bit of a wait.

I’ll see how the 575 holds up to the nitrous that will soon be installed. Should exceed the rating by a couple hundred hp lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts