Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...real exhaust blankets. I used to work on Detroit 6V53 blower/turbos in Light Armored Vehicles in the Marines and remember the days of laying on top of the downpipe while it was running. There has to be a way to get a turbo car cool enough under the hood to not cook everything in the vicinity of the exhaust.

I contacted a company that builds these and am waiting on a quote to build the same for my BG kit in the 94/95 I have.

All my hotside it going to be ceramic coated and then wrapped with the 1" and 2" wide thermotec style wrap but I feel that is not going to be enough for a full accessory street car. I have already heard a few horror stories about the DP cooking the carped and anything else near the firewall inside the cab. Unaccetable in my book. That is all I need is for the a/c box to melt.

What are some of you doing for the heat?

What kind of temps are you reading on your pipes (headers, cross over, DP, turbo housing, etc.)? I am going to give those numbers to the guys building the blankets so they can tell me what the inner and outer difference should be after their blankets are installed.

If you have a BG kit for a 94/95 that is not installed I may need to get some measurements from you....or I can call Brian.

I am probably going to send my hotside to these folks around December to have the blankets built if their estimate comes in reasonable.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Looks good. But custom usually means big bucks. Interested to hear what they quote you as a price.

I have a 5" down pipe in my engine bay. It is ceramic coated and wrapped with DEI exhaust wrap. I have no issues with melting any thing in my engine bay, firewall or any where for that matter. My down pipe and exhaust also has good clearance from every thing by design.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks good. But custom usually means big bucks. Interested to hear what they quote you as a price.

I have a 5" down pipe in my engine bay. It is ceramic coated and wrapped with DEI exhaust wrap. I have no issues with melting any thing in my engine bay, firewall or any where for that matter. My down pipe and exhaust also has good clearance from every thing by design.
If I can find some free time at work I am gonna email him some pics of what I have for pipes and try to gets some measurements from the web. Unfortunatly my exhaust is all on the car back in the states and I won't be home next until Dec.

For properly fitting blankets for the cross over past the v-band and up the first 10" or so of the drivers side and then back up to the collector on the pass side leaving a opening for the WG, plus the DP cover extending down to the ground from the turbo housing I would be wiling to pay $1k I would pay $1,500 but it better be made of some of the baddest chit around and not let any heat out what so ever. I am talking NASA blankets. lol

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Yeah, Heat management is important on a turbo car. Especially on a street car. I think I had $800 in ceramic coating and DEI wrap. So if you can paint your system with high temp paint and use the blankets $1K wouldn't be bad at all. Especially if it is some really high quality stuff.

Well if you want I can have them quote my cross over and down pipe just for reference. I would be interested to see what it would cost. If you want to forward their info that is.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
high temp paint :rofl:

it burns off period.

ceramic coating and wrap and blankets.
My buddies and I have had good luck with the high temp paint. Not the 1200 degree aerosol can stuff. But the ceramic paints works fine if the parts are prepped well before painting. A buddy had a Incon kit that was painted. Never burned or flaked off. Over 4 years of use and abuse. The problem is the 2000+ degree paint is hard to find now. Every one has the 1200 degree header paint. And yes, that will not last.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
haha technicality you are right. It is a ceramic paint that resists high temps. LOL

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
PVC pipe headers will transfer very little heat into the engine/passenger compartment, and will leak very little if you use the requisite purple PVC cement...... sorry couldn't resist. no really, I would be interested to see what they quote for the high tech blanketing material as I have a large tube header design that is EVERYWHERE in the eng. compartment.... near everything meltable. post up any info you get when the quote arrives... thanks!

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I just bought some DEI header wrap for my downpipe and a VSRacing blanket and called it a day, runs 185-190 all day long.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts