Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
98 SOHC with Roush/SVO roots blower

I just finished up my install and cranked the car up. I backed it out of the garage and there was a small 8 inch diameter leak of freshly squeezed coolant. I cut the car off and checked all around the engine under the hood to see if I could tell where it was coming from. No luck! I started the car again and looked underneath. VISUAL: if you are looking directly across underneath the car right behind the front tires, basically at the firewall/end of tanny/cross brace thing........coolant is dripping from there. Not much but when I hit the accelerator, more comes out.

I checked the heater inlet/outlet houses and all and felt all around the manifold etc....I could not find any leaks. Could it just be overflow or something that will stop after a couple days? Are the heads stripped/gasket blown??????? AHHHH, just say no.

Anyone?

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
Look in the overflow bottle and see what the level is. Is it possibly leaking from the overflow out of the cap? Ensure the car is warm (operating temp) then ensure you look at it.

Repost results..........

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I may have left out some key info....

I drained all the coolant from the radiator out of the little plastic white valve thing at the bottom passenger side of radiator before the intsall. It sat like that for 2 days while I gutted the engine and installed the roots blower.

Then, tonight, I did a 50/50 mix of prestone coolant and that distilled water stuff. I followed the haynes directions and cranked the car up and ran it until the radiator hose was hot. Then I shut it off and was supposed to top off the coolant but the level had not gone down and I noticed the leak.

1badazzgt: What is this overflow bottle? The cap??? It is leaking at the back of the engine by firewall or atleast that's where it is dripping from underneath. :(

:( :( :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
5 Posts
There is a line from the water pump that runs under the intake manifold back to a hose at the firewall. From there it goes into the heater core. I had trouble with the line leaking where it comes out of the water pump when I first installed my Saleen blower. They require a newly shaped line to clear the underside of the new manifold. Try shining a light under the manifold from the front and see if coolant is laying in the 'V'.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I tried looking in the "V" already. It is bone dry except maybe a bit wet in the back part by the firewall where that cap is about the size of a tennis ball in the back of the "V" but it may be my imagination. It wouldn't come out of there anyways right?

·
Registered
413 Posts
First, it's probably not a big problem. I doubt you blew head gaskets doing an install :) You just need to find the leak and tighten a clamp, etc. With the engine cold you can start it and look for the leak without burning yourself. The heater hose, etc. is in the back. What about the Roush intercooler lines?

David

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This blower is not intercooled. I am at 6#'s boost.

I don't see how it could be leaking from underneath since I did not go under the car at all for any reason except to install the fuel pump.

could it be the white plastic piece that connects the heater hose inlet/outlets throught the firewall? I had trouble getting the hoses off and might have broke something.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
hey man, i would check out in thr "v" valley again to see if there is anything there. here are a few situations:
check the thermostat housing to see if there is anything coming from it
check the valley to see if there is anything in there, if so, you may have a bad intake gasket and it could very well leak and come out the back, the same goes for the thermostat housing, it all runs down into the valley and falls out the back down the tranny, check the heater hose that the other guy mentioned that is down in the valley, it could be leaking
also check the water pump, there is a small hole in the top of it, if there is coolant coming out you need to replace your water pump.
take a look around in the Haynes manual, it has some nice ideas and procedures for checking,good luck!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the thermostat housing would not cause this leak and it's fine anyways....it sits at the front of the engine with this blower.

The intake gaskets were checked prior to blower install and they were perfect.

it might be that tube that runs the length of the "V". Do you have to take everthing off to replace it?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Hey 98Roush...check your PM

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok...its has nothign to do with the valley at all. I checked thoroughly. It is coming from drivers side by firewall and dripping down onto the flange of the stockheader/hpipe. I felt all around where the supercharger bolts to the heads and the gasket isn't leaking. What could it be?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what about trying that sealer crap you put in your radiator to fix leaks that they sell at the auto store?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts