Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made it this far in the tear down...

Popped a head gasket a few weeks ago, and am just not getting started on it. Going to replace with some MLS gaskets and do A LOT of cleanup under the hood and rebuild the turbo kit. This one sucks pretty bad, fit is terrible. Just a thread to document what Im doing. Feel free to comment, criticize or ask questions. I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised with the results when I am done.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Well you definitly have a rats nest to deal with!What kit and whats your combo?Trust me the end will be well worth it,and even better to say you did it all as the jaws drop in AWWWW !!!!!

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
347, TFS Stage 1 Cam, TFS Heads and intake (box stock) 65mm TB, twin turbos (each from Buick Grand National), FMIC, Megasquirt, 255 intank pump, 42 lb injectors, MSD6A box. Trans is C4 with full manual VB and Brake, 3500 stall. Rear is 3.31 gear (from 06 Mustang), 31 spline diff, Strange axles, C-clip elims, rear girdle. STOCK suspension everywhere. I will be doing the clean up work just to make it look better, easier to work on. This thing is a pain in the arse right now.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Is that a pretty sharp turn coming out of the turbine? Hard to see. I'm redoing my setup currently.
Erich

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its not really that sharp of a turn, just how the picture shows it I guess. I found a set of 1 5/8 shorties from a friend I am going to get I think and start re-doing the piping with that.

·
Registered
469 Posts
How do you like the Megasquirt?

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOVE THE MEGASQUIRT!!! A friend is still helping me with the tune but its A LOT easier than the TwEECer R/T

Got it down to the short block today. Turns out BOTH head gaskets were blown. The one pictures on the left is the passenger side. It is what blew when I drove it last. The other gasket was blown between the #7 and #8 Cylinder

Passenger head #2 where it blew.

Drivers head between #7 and #8.

Where its at now :(

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
WOW!

When you do it, you do it right haha.
Did it damage the head any between 7 & 8? The picture doesn't show it well enough to see.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont "think" it did but I am gonna have the heads checked to make sure.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I got the heads back on ( they werent hurt ) and have made it this far with the mockup on the new setup. I have my new bov and wg on the way along with a t4 flange, just have to get a turbo here and start welding up some pipe, then I will be ready. Putting the A/C back on as well. Bump this SC summer heat.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Sweet! are you going single now or still twins?

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Going single. T76, .96A/R if I can find a decent deal on one.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Put the rest of the underhood acces on tonight so I can start fitting the turbo.. its gonna be tight with all the piping under a stock hood.

·
Registered
747 Posts
347, TFS Stage 1 Cam, TFS Heads and intake (box stock) 65mm TB, twin turbos (each from Buick Grand National), FMIC, Megasquirt, 255 intank pump, 42 lb injectors, MSD6A box. Trans is C4 with full manual VB and Brake, 3500 stall. Rear is 3.31 gear (from 06 Mustang), 31 spline diff, Strange axles, C-clip elims, rear girdle. STOCK suspension everywhere. I will be doing the clean up work just to make it look better, easier to work on. This thing is a pain in the arse right now.
how hard is it to wire the MSD6A with the Mega Squirt? also what was your best time with the twins?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
It's no problem at all to wire the 6A. Just disconnect the SPOUT line from the TFI. The PIP signal from the TFI will go to pin 24 of the MS2 unit, and the you'll hook the white trigger wire (points) from the MSD to pin 36 of the MS2.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I have been busy on the booger. Still have a lot left, but as of now the turbo is mounted. I still have to make the merge pipe between the drivers and passenger side exhaust pipes but I still have accomplished alot. Considering I am building this kit from scratch, I think its turning out pretty well.

I may redo part of it because now that its together I dont like the turn the exhaust is going to have to make but otherwise its coming along.

And pics of the 50 mm blow off valve and 44 mm waste gate.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts