Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Please call me Mike
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short:

installing turbo and new fuel system on 1988 Mustang. At the same time added a COP Pro M EFI system. I ordered these items:
340 LPH intank pump: 340 LPH High Flow Internal Fuel Pump E85 Compatible - Individual Fuel Parts - Fuel Supply

fuel pump hanger: High Flow Fuel Pump Hanger for 1986 ? 1997 Mustangs

fuel pump pigtail wiring: Heavy Gauge Fuel Pump Pigtail For 86-97 Mustangs - Wiring & Adapters - Parts & Accessories

I was looking at dropping the tank and getting the wiring side done and realized this is not a drop in kit. After a quick email to Chris he said this is an add on part for "other manufactures" heavy duty fuel pump wiring. Aeromotive makes one Premium Fuel Pump Wiring Kit ? Aeromotive, Inc

I spoke to red horse and they said that their pump is desgned to use oem wire size. However, they do not make the pump and I cannot find an amp draw rating. The Aeromotive 340 directions specifiy that they want larger wiring.

DO i use the stock wiring or replace it with the seomotive kit?

·
Please call me Mike
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ouch. Tough crowd.

I'm going to order the aeromotive wiring kit. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

·
Indo-Canuck-Yankee
2,738 Posts
When it comes to wiring kits, I prefer to spec it all out myself as a lot of the kits I've seen include substandard wire, connectors, etc.

What you need is a good quality relay of higher amperage that you can connect using your existing fuel pump relay's activation signal. The old activation signal will become your new relay's field coil activation signal. The power source and feed for the relay should be of a larger gauge wire that allows for higher current capacity. I would probably look at using minimum 10 gauge if not 8 gauge wire since the run to the rear is relatively lengthy. Mount the relay as close to the pump as practically possible, have the shortest ground of equivalent gauge from the pump to the chassis, and use good quality sleeving and termination on everything.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts