First time running Kuhmo XS tires. Any idea for initial tire pressures for a high speed autocross on pavement? With the Azenis I was running last two years I was at 35F/30R.
email I got back from Kumho.Philip,
Thank you for your inquiry regarding the Ecsta XS, see below for baseline info. There isn't really a temp that the tire "fades", you will need to get the proper heat into the tire to get peak performance. The closer you can get the tread to the 205 temp the more grip you will have. Let me know if you have any additional questions. Have a great day.
• ** Molded to 6/32
• ** Shave to 3/32 - 4/32 for max grip and durability
• ** Recommend initial heat cycle for prolonged use
• ** -1.0 to –3.0 degrees of camber for stock and mild suspension
• ** Slight toe out front, 0 to slight toe in rear
• ** 35-45 HOT PSI for most vehicles
• ** Cold PSI for autocross and hot PSI for circuit racing
• ** 30-36 PSI for tuned suspension and lighter cars
• ** Operating temperature range 190’-210’ (205’ optimum) across tread face
• ** Wet inflation pressures 5-8 PSI below dry cold pressures
Kumho America Technical Center
For the June 2009 issue. Just got my Grassroot motorsports where they did some Extreme tire testing. Tires were tested in 15 inch sizes on a hond civic.
Here is a summary of times from worst to first.
6th - Falken RT 615 Mean time: 35.302 Sec Quick time 35.125 Sec.
5th - Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec Mean time: 35.209 sec. Quick time 35.061
4th -Toyo Proxes R1R Mean time: 34.522 sec Quick Time 34.452 sec
3rd- Bridgestone RE-01R Mean time: 34.478 sec Quick Time 34.430 sec.
2nd- Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 Mean time: 34.266 Quick time 34.238 sec.
1st - Kumho ECSTA XS Mean time :34.170 Quick Time 34.030 sec.
All tires were shaved to 3/32 nd and test performed on an Autocross set up.