Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed a new set of koni adjustables, was wondering where I should start off at for the street.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have heard that you can damage the shocks if you run them without any adjustment put in them, is this true?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I have heard that you can damage the shocks if you run them without any adjustment put in them, is this true?
Why would they engineer a shock that can be damaged by putting it on the lowest setting?

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Just installed a new set of koni adjustables, was wondering where I should start off at for the street.
Which Koni adjustables, on what car, with what springs?

Why would they engineer a shock that can be damaged by putting it on the lowest setting?
I've owned adjustable dampers from a few different manufacturers on my cars over the years - DMS, KW, Koni - and all of them say not to run with the adjustment full firm or full soft. I don't particularly care why they say that, as it doesn't affect my ability to use the dampers.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts

I've owned adjustable dampers from a few different manufacturers on my cars over the years - DMS, KW, Koni - and all of them say not to run with the adjustment full firm or full soft. I don't particularly care why they say that, as it doesn't affect my ability to use the dampers.
Interesting. Learned something new today and that's good. I do wonder why however.

·
Registered
662 Posts

I've bought 2 sets of koni yellows for my 2 mustangs and the only thing in the box was a sheet with pictures that show which direction to turn the knob for soft/firm and they didn't indicate (to me) not to turn them full firm or firm soft. Being concerned about this, I went to the koni website: KONI NA | Adjustment Guides and it doesn't mention that in the text, but if you watch the video, it says if you're going to run full soft or full firm to back off about 1/16th of a turn to prevent the valve from getting stuck....good info...I'll do that from now on. Thanks Patrick!

Mark

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm running them in a 92' notch with 90's eibach sport springs with mm adjustable LCA.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I just went for a ride with my wife to get her opion as well, but with just a 1/4 turn on all corners it felt like a nice ride. No more front end bouncing from 20+yr old struts, and rear felt more controlled. I feel as though it could us an other 1/8 turn in the front to make it feel more connected. But I may be talking out my butt, since I have no idea what I'm trying to make it do.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I too had heard the myth not to run them at full soft or full firm and always discarded it as an old wive's tale. Mark, very interesting find. 1/16th of a turn is barely moving them, so that will be easy to do, just in case.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts