Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 cobra, and the opportunity to buy a set of barely used Kenny Brown race springs for cheap. I have heard that these particular springs are INSANELY stiff ( I dont know how exagerated it was ). A buddy of mine said that I may blow the stock shocks with this setup. Anybody know for sure? If anybody knows just how stiff these springs are...it would be helpful to know. thanks alot -Ryan
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
27,653 Posts
If they're stiffer than stock, and they practically have to be, then pairing them with stock shocks is a bad idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,902 Posts
MFE said it all. Unless you're asking which brand/model shock you should use, what more do you need to know?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
694 Posts
I suggest calling Kenny Brown and find out the rate of the springs and then finding a suitable shock/strut combo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
huesmann said:
MFE said it all. Unless you're asking which brand/model shock you should use, what more do you need to know?

I actually was also looking for some input on what kind of shocks to use. I had koni yellows on my last car and loved them...but they are a bit pricey. any suggestions? (I'd like somthing adjustable)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,627 Posts
rhyno said:
I actually was also looking for some input on what kind of shocks to use. I had koni yellows on my last car and loved them...but they are a bit pricey. any suggestions? (I'd like somthing adjustable)
I would suggest using the search function and see what you can find on:

Koni
Bilstein
Tokico
KYB*

Then you can make a choice based on your needs and available funds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds good. Thanks for the help guys. Next question: about how long could I run the stock shocks with the spring setup before bad things start happening?!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,902 Posts
Well, the stock shocks will be very unhappy. And you will probably also be very unhappy with the damping you're not getting from them. If you need shocks, and the Koni yellows are too pricey, look into Bilsteins; the 5-way Tokicos may be even cheaper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
huesmann said:
Well, the stock shocks will be very unhappy.
Do you think running stiff springs would have some sort of damaging effect on the stock shocks? I would have thought the shocks would be worked less, rather than more. Of course, the springs would still be underdamped.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll probably just save up for the koni's...I think I may throw on the springs at first until I get up the money though. Keep in mind I will not actually be autocrossing this car with that setup anyways. Autox season is almost over in Illinois anyways.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
27,653 Posts
ScarSnake said:
Do you think running stiff springs would have some sort of damaging effect on the stock shocks? I would have thought the shocks would be worked less, rather than more. Of course, the springs would still be underdamped.
They'll be worked less in compression but a hell of a lot more in rebound. Whether or not the workout is "damaging" is up to debate and chance, but the fact is, stock-shock rebound valving is not going to be up to the task of controlling rates much higher than stock.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top