Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you guys were running kenne bells and switched to turbos??? any storys or how was your outcome....

·
Registered
407 Posts
I would think that with the pushrod community, it was supercharger(vortech/paxton..etc) to turbo. I can tell you I was actually looking for a Novi 2000 renegade supercharger, and came across HP turbos at a race. I knew nothing about turbos and had done no research. I just dove into it, and so far NO regrets!! Actually, one regret...I wish turbos had nasty cam profiles. Nothing sounds better than a pushrod motor with a big cam!

·
Registered
314 Posts
I had a Kenne Bell Blowzilla/Flowzilla on my 91 with a Cobra lower intake, switched to a HP Performance stage 2 kit 66 mm turbo, with a Systemax 2 intake, same cam, a F303, and picked up a little over 200 rwhp

It's the best thing I ever did, night and day difference

·
Registered
217 Posts
I would think that with the pushrod community, it was supercharger(vortech/paxton..etc) to turbo. I can tell you I was actually looking for a Novi 2000 renegade supercharger, and came across HP turbos at a race. I knew nothing about turbos and had done no research. I just dove into it, and so far NO regrets!! Actually, one regret...I wish turbos had nasty cam profiles. Nothing sounds better than a pushrod motor with a big cam!
The problem with a big cam is that a higher gear's are usually needee to get in the power range.I heard some clips of a LS1 Camaro's and 408W Mustang's and how good they sounded with a Cam and header's.I may get a 5.0 Mustang and throw a Turbo on it but want to make sure it gets good gas mileage.I would never have supercharged car when it can be Turbo'd.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I would not say an F303 or E303 cam sound all that tame and both work great with turbos. All of the custom cams I have had for turbo setups had very aggressive sounding idles.
Take a turbo fox and clone it so you have to identical cars. Put a crappy motorsports cam in one, and oh lets just say crowers turbo cam in the other and tune both to make 450rwhp. The car with the motorsports cam will be running at least 5 to 10lbs more boost that the other car to reach 450rwhp because of its n/a profile.

A n/a cam has valve overlap to help produce a vacuum to help suck in as much air as it can while the intake valve is still open. This works great on a n/a engine because well, engines are basically giant vacuums. Now throw a turbo into the equation. Yes you will make more power, but now you are pushing air into the engine. The air that gets pushed into the cylinders will also be getting pushed out the open exhaust valve because of valve over lap. Hence your loosing boost out your exhaust and have to run more to make up for it. You'll be over working your turbo and putting excess strain on the entire turbo/engine system. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Take a turbo fox and clone it so you have to identical cars. Put a crappy motorsports cam in one, and oh lets just say crowers turbo cam in the other and tune both to make 450rwhp. The car with the motorsports cam will be running at least 5 to 10lbs more boost that the other car to reach 450rwhp because of its n/a profile.

A n/a cam has valve overlap to help produce a vacuum to help suck in as much air as it can while the intake valve is still open. This works great on a n/a engine because well, engines are basically giant vacuums. Now throw a turbo into the equation. Yes you will make more power, but now you are pushing air into the engine. The air that gets pushed into the cylinders will also be getting pushed out the open exhaust valve because of valve over lap. Hence your loosing boost out your exhaust and have to run more to make up for it. You'll be over working your turbo and putting excess strain on the entire turbo/engine system. Hope that helps.

actually the F cam doesnt have much overlap(114* LSA) and is a great forced induction cam, lots of guys use them and they work great for a blower or turbo. i use one, i ran a vortech and it seemed to work great. i also am going to use it for my turbo setup this winter.

now the E cam isnt such a good choice for a blown motor. it has more overlap (108) and is more suited for a N/A setup.

·
Registered
422 Posts

actually the F cam doesnt have much overlap and is a great forced induction cam, lots of guys use them and they work great for a blower or turbo. i use one, i ran a vortech and it seemed to work great. i also am going to use it for my turbo setup this winter.

now the E cam isnt such a good choice for a blown motor. it has more overlap (108) and is more suited for a N/A setup.

not saying there arent better choices out there but the F cam has been proven to work well with forced induction

·
Registered
3,209 Posts

I’m trying not make assumptions on what you’ve just said…but how in the hell do you figure a “crappy” motorsports cam is going to require 5-10lbs more boost! Both cams will produce the same amount of boost regardless, as that is what is dictated by the wastegate. Now sure, if you have too much overlap you can get some air blowing through the open valve….and sure, it may cause the turbo to work a little harder…but the end result is the same boost regardless of the cam you are using.

As for the motorsports cam, foxfan88 is right on. The F303 is indeed fords forced induction cam….and works quite well with turbo setups!

With that said, the stock H.O. cam also works quite well with turbo setups....and typically is all you need for block splitting horsepower.

·
4,305 Posts
Yeah, I'd be curious where you are getting that information from. I have seen from personal experience with both the E and the F how a turbo car reacts and it is nothing at all as you describe. I always have leaned more towards the F for a turbo car but many folks still like the E. Now if you throw a B in there, it sucks for turbo cars even though yes people still run them. Matter of fact the F cam is spec'd damn near identical to the old Dutwieller turbo cams he used to sell.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I never said the cam dictates how much boost you will produce. I've had plenty turbo 302's come in and out my shop with that "blower" alphabet cam. They all had to run more boost to reach the same hp that other cars were making with identical mods just with a real cam. Alphabet cams work great on stock displacement hci cars. On a turbo car they are just a cheap way out. Turbo engines are all about making power efficiently. Aside from your tune, the cam is the most important factor in producing that efficient power. Having the right setup and only running 5lbs of boost to produce 400hp is a way better route than just throwing more boost at it to make the same power. Less strain on the entire rotating assembly means more hp and less chance of a failure. All you have to do is do a little searching. There are plenty of threads on here and other mustang forums about people running the F(ucked) cam and having to run way more boost than other people.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I never said the cam dictates how much boost you will produce. I've had plenty turbo 302's come in and out my shop with that "blower" alphabet cam. They all had to run more boost to reach the same hp that other cars were making with identical mods just with a real cam. Alphabet cams work great on stock displacement hci cars. On a turbo car they are just a cheap way out. Turbo engines are all about making power efficiently. Aside from your tune, the cam is the most important factor in producing that efficient power. Having the right setup and only running 5lbs of boost to produce 400hp is a way better route than just throwing more boost at it to make the same power. Less strain on the entire rotating assembly means more hp and less chance of a failure. All you have to do is do a little searching. There are plenty of threads on here and other mustang forums about people running the F(ucked) cam and having to run way more boost than other people.
While I don't disagree that it's always better to run a more effecient setup and less boost, your logic doesn't always hold true on a turbo setup.

The F303 cam has been proven time in and out to be a damn good performer with turbo setups. There are countelss examples on other forums in which people swapped from the f303 to a custom "turbo" cam and picked up virtually no horsepower and were no better off. There is far...far more data out there (if you do a little searhing) that supports the f303 as a proven power maker than the opposite. Hell, I'm running mismatched exhaust turbines (far too small) for the f303 that I'm running.....yet not only am I producing what I consider damn good numbers with only 8psi of boost....but my torque/hp curve is broad as hell. I've seen many combo's similar to mine with "custom" turbo cams that were on par....or even worse off than mine.

Honestly, I don't see the point of using anything other than the stock or f303 for stock based block combo's....as you are not going to be able to push the power through them where a custom cam would benefit. The data out their supports my views as well....so take it for what it's worth.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Hmm

My E cammed turbo car made 437rwhp thru an AOD on 9lbs of boost - so, by switching to a different cam I can make that power on 4lbs?

5-10 lbs less with a custom cam over a letter cam you stated.

So with 0-4lbs of boost I can make the same power?

Nice - sign me up.

I'll get a vid clip of how tame my e cam is.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
When you're already making 500 horsepower with a "crappy" F-cam, why would you want more with a stock block? I love my F cam and it worked excellent with my blower and to boot, I got it for free. People that bash the F-cam are just people who are trying to prove a point that a custom cam is better, and yes it is but is it really worth 400 bucks? Not to me, I rock the FREE-cam....i mean F cam and Im more then satisfied with my 10 second car! I made 460 rwhp with a small blower and a simple HCI with the F and it ran great.

I'll keep my F cam even if i get a dart, it has no streetability problems and sounds excellent.

Thats all I got. :D

·
Registered
538 Posts
a turbo vs a centri is a night and day difference. just look at the power curves. the bottom end on a centri car isnt comparable to a kb or turbo setup. thats just the way it works. if you properly size the turbos then you will likely have a comparable low end power curve, with more top end than the kb. i think that for every 100 guys that makes the kb to turbo switch, 95 of them are going to be happy. every now and then you have someone disappointed. thats usually due to poor turbo selection or a poor overall combination. you cant take a kb off a 302 and put a small frame 88mm on and expect the bottom end to be there. turbo sizing is critical. get that right and you wont be disappointed!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts