Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got my blower installed over the weekend, but when I rev up the engine my gauge is showing no boost. I will occasionally spike up to about 5 psi then drop back down into vacuum (10-20). I tried messing around with the connection to the gauge itself to see if that was the issue, but it feels like there is vacuum even when the engine is revved up from putting my finger in front of the port on the boost side. I did some searching and it seems like the biggest cause of this is from a faulty bypass valve, but mine isn't equipped with one. I do have a leak on my passenger side valve cover gasket, I couldn't be losing it through there could it? I can't see any oil or anything elsewhere on the car and I can't hear an audible leak anywhere but it's hard to say for sure since it's fairly loud. Do you guys have any suggestions about where I could be losing the pressure from?

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
If you're just free-revving the engine, this is normal. Put a load on the engine and it will build boost as expected.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am going to try to fab something up at some point, I just want to get it tuned and running for the time being. I am running a snow meth injection kit with it to try to keep it a bit cooler. I know that won't help at idle or cruising but it's something.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
I am going to try to fab something up at some point, I just want to get it tuned and running for the time being. I am running a snow meth injection kit with it to try to keep it a bit cooler. I know that won't help at idle or cruising but it's something.
If you search, I posted up a home-made bypass setup some time ago. Never mind, I found the before/after graph and info, though the Magnuson bypass valve is obsolete now, not sure what people are using now...

Edit: perhaps this Mini Cooper one might work https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=11617568423&rh=i:aps,k:11617568423

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've read your post a few times, I can't find a magnuson bypass anywhere though like you said. Would a vortech one work? Those are for sale everywhere.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Mini cooper bypass is probably the best budget option these days.
Kenne bell makes an upgraded version of the old magnusen bypass, but they are VERY expensive.
Chris

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A ls1 bypass is definitely an option, since ls1

The only reason I was thinking about a vortech one, is it seems like it would be a lot easier to install. Trying to get a mini one on would take a fair bit of work from what I can tell, there really isn't a good place to mount it on the vacuum side of my supercharger. From what I can tell the vortech ones just have a bypass hose that goes in and out, as a vacuum line attached to them. I can't find a lot of info on them though to see if it will actually work

This is the one I'm talking about

·
Registered
122 Posts
I haven’t tried it myself, but I don’t think a diaphram style bypass will work on a pd supercharger. I believe manifold vacuum through the bypass will prevent it from opening, both sides of the diagram will be experiencing same vacuum.
All the oem and aftermarket roots and pd superchargers use butterfly bypass valves.
Chris

·
Registered
122 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I really wasn't sure if it would work, I've never seen anyone try it. The only issue I have with a butterfly style one is trying to find a place to mount it. There isn't a lot of room on the discharge, maybe on the driver side of the discharge I guess depending on how big it is.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Posted same time I did, lol. See above.
Chris

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You could set up the mini cooper bypass remotely though. Just cut an aluminum plate that matches the bolt pattern, install a straight or 90* hose barb in the center, and trim the fitting flush on back side.
Kenne bell used to mount the bypass valves in line remotely on many kits, and still does on at least one I think.

Edit:
Like this: http://image.mustangandfords.com/f/24840707+w620+re0/m5lp_0403_12_z+kb_two_valve_supercharger+bypass_valves.jpg
Chris
Yeah I suppose that would work, I could run it over the non-flowzilla systems do, I'd just have to drill and tap a couple of fittings on the discharge and intake sides

similar to one on the left

·
Registered
122 Posts
I think Cougar5.0’s setup looks much cleaner, but either way should work fine.
Chris

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Before I got the Flowzilla, I did attach a round plate to the bypass so I could use threaded pipe into the vacuum side - see below. Obviously you'll need to have some tools/ability to fab stuff as it will be different than I did using a different bypass valve. But I was like you and tried the Vortech style and they def don't work as described by a77cj7. Posted same time - d'oh.

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
His looks a lot cleaner, I just don't know if a mini valve would mount in that location on mine with out some sort of adapter plate. I don't know how to weld so that could get pretty expensive.

From the looks of it, I would have to relocate all of the vacuum lines, assuming that the valve actually fit there in the first place

1 - 20 of 30 Posts