Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing some planning for the install of my Kenne Bell setup on my 302 in my 1990 LX convertible. Right now, the motor is 100% stock but my planned mods include a set of aluminum heads.
I want to run AFR165s, but the combustion chamber choice looks to only be 58cc.
Will that work if I keep boost under 10 psi? I am concerned the compression will be too high for boost.
I could look at running TW170s with a higher combustion chamber size (61cc I believe) or even the 11R 170s with 63cc, but I am concerned that I will have clearance issues on the drivers side where the SC sits due to the higher valve cover rail of the TW heads. I could put a spacer under the KB discharge but then I could run into clearance issues with my stock hood.
The AFRs would work good as far as fit and provide good performance but I am concerned about the compression.
I appreciate any input, especially from the ones with experience with a Kenne Bell on a fox.

BTW, I plan to run a TMOSS ported Cobra lower intake.

·
Registered
21,865 Posts
what static CR do you wanna run?

and what quench do you plan to run?

you don't need more than 9:1 with a KB

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what static CR do you wanna run?

and what quench do you plan to run?

you don't need more than 9:1 with a KB
I would love to be around 9:1 but to get there I would probably need 62-63cc chambers. But doing so with any of the better heads that offer that chamber size could cause other issues as mentioned above.
It looks like 58cc chambers would put me around 9.5:1, maybe more depending on what my deck clearance ends up being.
As far as quench, I know the target is usually .035 to .045

·
Registered
21,865 Posts
then you will have to make compromises.

Keep the SC rpm low enough, conservative timing especially between 1500-4000 rpm, and hi octane fuel.

you may want to stock a few headgaskets, it will happen.

·
Indo-Canuck-Yankee
2,736 Posts
I'm running an 8.5:1 306 with ported Victor Jr heads. I had thought that the heads might be a bit overkill for a 306, but they make a surprising amount of torque and power without even stroking the engine. The intake runner volume is something like 210cc for those heads straight from the factory, so not sure if being conservative with your head selection makes sense if you're planning to run a Kenne Bell supercharger on top of it.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm running an 8.5:1 306 with ported Victor Jr heads. I had thought that the heads might be a bit overkill for a 306, but they make a surprising amount of torque and power without even stroking the engine. The intake runner volume is something like 210cc for those heads straight from the factory, so not sure if being conservative with your head selection makes sense if you're planning to run a Kenne Bell supercharger on top of it.
I agree, but I am running a stock bottom end so I have to be careful with PTV clearance with the stock pistons. That leaves my choices as AFR 165s or the TW170 or 11R series heads (at least as far as the better performing heads go).

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
I would go with 190 11r's in your application. AFR 165's are pretty tiny, and 11r's will give you the most P/V clearance of any decent head out there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts