Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
://i32.photobucket./albums/d12/cvgtpony03/100_4078.
://i32.photobucket./albums/d12/cvgtpony03/100_4073.
://i32.photobucket./albums/d12/cvgtpony03/100_4074.
://i32.photobucket./albums/d12/cvgtpony03/100_4075.
://i32.photobucket./albums/d12/cvgtpony03/100_4077.
://i32.photobucket./albums/d12/cvgtpony03/100_4097.
://i32.photobucket./albums/d12/cvgtpony03/100_4101.
://i32.photobucket./albums/d12/cvgtpony03/100_4098.
://i32.photobucket./albums/d12/cvgtpony03/100_4060.

If you add h t t p with no spaces to the beginning, c o m with no spaces after photobucket., and j p g with no spaces to the end, you get some pictures.

:joy:

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Yes, I was asking you.
Just an observation here not a criticism.
This picture:

It doesn't look like you have a spacer between the nut and the joint. Depending on the amount that the spindle moves up and down, it may cause the nut to contact the outer part of the joint. It doesn't mean that it will but it's just something I noticed when looking through the pictures.

And, for the lazy people...

I'll keep my thoughts about the interesting bleeder screw "mods" to myself. :idunno:
Still, it's some nice shiny hardware. :drool:

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Yes, I was asking you.
Just an observation here not a criticism.
This picture:
I, too, am surprised at how tall that spacer stack is. That looks even taller than on my car, which has the '94/95 spindles with the higher steering arm. Looks like the tie rods are lined up nicely with the control arms, though, soooo...

I'll keep my thoughts about the interesting bleeder screw "mods" to myself. :idunno:
Still, it's some nice shiny hardware. :drool:
Until this thread I had never heard that there were issues with Griggs' SLA setup and the caliper positioning. Just seems like a really strange thing to have left that way - one would think Griggs could've come up with some way to reposition the caliper a bit.

Pat

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You don't have to do that with other aftermarket brake calipers from my understanding. Just with the 03-04 Cobra brakes.

They said "People that get the SLA are usually upgrading or have upgraded their brakes".

I said I DID UPGRADE MY BRAKES...lol

·
Registered
463 Posts
what calipers fit?

so then what brake calipers fit with out mods? and isnt it true that brembos have more clearance issues with wheels due to them sticking out more?

with my new enkeis i have about 1.25" of clearance past the mounting surface of the rotor. and thats with a .25" spacer.

any one know how much cobra calipers or any other calipers stick out past the rotor mounting surface?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so then what brake calipers fit with out mods? and isnt it true that brembos have more clearance issues with wheels due to them sticking out more?

with my new enkeis i have about 1.25" of clearance past the mounting surface of the rotor. and thats with a .25" spacer.

any one know how much cobra calipers or any other calipers stick out past the rotor mounting surface?
I'd say their 4 on 4 brakes will work without issues, probably the Brembo kit, don't know about the Wilwood (however you spell it?) kit. I believe John said he had the Brembo's on his car and didn't say anything about having to modify them.

Griggs could tell you what works, just give them a call :D

I don't have a problem with what I did to my bleeders at all. It solved the problem and there's still plenty left to put a wrench on to loosen or tighten the bleeder down.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It doesn't look like you have a spacer between the nut and the joint. Depending on the amount that the spindle moves up and down, it may cause the nut to contact the outer part of the joint. It doesn't mean that it will but it's just something I noticed when looking through the pictures.
I never thought about that. I'll check it out next time I get the car up in the air (tomorrow probably) and see if they contact each other while turning and/or when the suspension is compressin or expanding.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I know it's old, but just because the outer tie-rod is level with the lower CA does NOT mean bumpsteer is set correctly. In fact, it's probably not.

The CA and Tie-rods pivot locations are different. You really need a bumpsteer gauge to measure this correctly -it's impossible to eye-ball.

This seems more spcific to SLA setups:
http://www.longacreracing.com/articles/art.asp?ARTID=13

And for everyone else:
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/howto/138_0211_maximum_motorsports_suspension_setup/bumpsteer.html

·
Registered
763 Posts
are those ur original spindles? and how does the upper brake caliper cage mounting bolt work? do u have to thread it in by hand then then tighten down the nut almost as like a jam nut?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, original spindles.

Look at the second picture of post #4, you can see the bottom bolt is stock. The top one is something Griggs sends you depending on which brakes you have. In my case 03-04 Cobra brakes. It's a bolt that's threaded on both ends. It's kind of like a jig saw puzzle. You need to put one end of that bolt in the caliper, then put the rotor in the caliper and then slide them on the spindle as one. Then but the bottom bolt in, then put the lock washer and nut on the top one, then tighten both down. Or that's how I did it :D

You can't put it in on after the caliper is already mounted to the spindle, the part on that bracket where the upper ball joint bolts on is in the way.

It was pretty easy, just took some time to figure it all out.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't know why you would want to tear all that down at the track? If you're just wanting to change the pads, you can do that without removing all that. Just pull the pin on the bottom of the caliper and rotate it up and take the pads out.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No, you, FTW ;) I'd never have known about that if I hadn't seen the pin on your brakes.

I thought I'd got ripped off and my brake kit was missing some important part...lol

Do I have enough posts to link a picture yet?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No, I didn't buy it yet...lol

But it's on my endless list of car #### to waste money on.

I figure I'll get them and do that when I get new front pads, they aren't going to last much longer. I need to talk to Eric about pads at the next event. I'm sure he'll be up at Bristol reminding me how slow my car really is compared to a "sports car". Damnit.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts