Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm in the process of installing the following on my 1993 LX 5.0 50% Street, 50% OT car.

1. MM C/C Plates
2. MM Front Coilovers with Bilstein Struts and 325 lb/in Hypercoil Springs
3. MM Rear Coilovers with Bilstein Shocks and 250 lb/in Hypercoil springs.
4. MM LCA's without Spring Perch but with Sway Bar Mount
5. MM Stand Duty PHB
6. EVM Three Link

What are the opinions of reinstalling the stock front and rear sway bars? Should I just leave them off and see how it handles?

Thanks for all opinions,
Ed

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
EDS_5_OH said:
What spring rates are you running up front? I wonder if keeping the front bar and ditching the rear might keep the car better balanced?
I'm running 375# coilovers in front with a 430# conventional in the rear using a MM TA suspension and stock F ARB. The wheel rates are ~338/210 F/R. Your spring choices come out to ~293/248 F/R wheel rate. You may very well need that front bar.

I had a little push with the stock rear ARB so I went with the MMRSB-4 adjustable unit and ended up on setting #3 for auto-x and #2 for open track and higher speed solo trials. Those settings make the car fairly neutral for the different types of courses. I'm planning on stepping up to 425# front Hypercoils and switching to rear coilovers, MM road race LCA's with 225# Hypercoil springs in a week or so.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
huesmann said:
To add to what Glenn said, your rear C/O springs may be a bit much if you don't have a torque arm yet.
He does have a 3 link though. Wouldnt a 3 link and torque arm swap have the same affect on spring choices?

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Oktavius said:
He does have a 3 link though. Wouldnt a 3 link and torque arm swap have the same affect on spring choices?
I would think so, since you have removed the same binding component(s) in either case, the UCA's. Even so, the rear rates seem to be pretty high in comparison to the fronts. The car could end up tail-happy. I think it's a good plan to try it without the rear ARB initially.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like good advice. I wonder why MM suggested these rates to me, I think I was pretty clear on my intentions for the car. I still have the rear springs in the original Hypercoil box, I wonder if I should look at trading them for some 225's or something?

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
EDS_5_OH said:
Sounds like good advice. I wonder why MM suggested these rates to me, I think I was pretty clear on my intentions for the car. I still have the rear springs in the original Hypercoil box, I wonder if I should look at trading them for some 225's or something?
Not sure, unless maybe the switch to coilovers reduces bushing bind even more. I also have the MM K-member and A-arms too. I think your front bushings add to the spring rate where mine rotate freely. That could make a difference in the F to R balance as well.

I guess I'll find out how 225# springs work as soon as I get my rear CO kit installed. It should be arriving today. :joy:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts