Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a stock shortblock 302 with afr 165 heads, and fti cam, gt40 intake ported by tmoss and all the basic bolt ons. the car has a lentech transmission and converter with a built 3.73 rearend (will be changing for boost). i had bought a 62mm turbo (.81 a/r) off of a hellion kit to use on my stock motor, but im wanting to go ahead and put a good shortblock in. the new boss block will get a 4" bore/3.25" stroke or a 4.125" bore/3.25" stroke rotating assembly. i figured id have about the same max power output with less boost. im wanting 550-600rwhp. does anyone have any experience with this turbo and a larger than stock cubic inch shortblock? any input will be greatly appreciated. thanks!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Go with a T-70, something bigger - you could push a lot of power through that block. Leave your options open (you can always just crank it up, not the case with the small 62mm)

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what im really looking for is a combo that is already maxed out on pump gas, or a true street car. i have heard the 62mm turbo is pretty much maxed out at 18psi. i would like to get that number into the 13-15 range if possible. i am trying to build a mid-high 10 second boosted pump gas daily driver. ill probably turn the boost down to 8-9psi for cruising and then up to 15 if i want to play. has anyone actually tried a 62mm turbo on a 331/347? i have a crazy twin turbo race gas car in the works that will be occasionally street driven. one crazy car is enough for now... i need this one to be a street car capable of daily driven duty.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
i have heard the 62mm turbo is pretty much maxed out at 18psi. i would like to get that number into the 13-15 range if possible..
that turbo is maxed out at 550-600 hp not a set psi... it may max out on my little stock motor at 18psi but on a better flowing setup like your talking, it would max out at way less of a boost pressure.

Im not expert!!!!... but I can tell you if I was going to toss in a boss blocked stroker motor with H/C/I I would sell my 62mm and buy something bigger lol. dont get me wrong I LOVE my 62mm on my stock motor but IF I had more motor I would need more turbo.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a 331 with a 61mm turbo. On 9psi pump gas and safe tune (stock block), I made 488rwhp 563rwtq. Great for a daily driver, but I don't use my car for that. If you want, I can scan my dyno sheet so you can see the power curve.

·
Registered
687 Posts
that turbo is maxed out at 550-600 hp not a set psi... it may max out on my little stock motor at 18psi but on a better flowing setup like your talking, it would max out at way less of a boost pressure.

Im not expert!!!!... but I can tell you if I was going to toss in a boss blocked stroker motor with H/C/I I would sell my 62mm and buy something bigger lol. dont get me wrong I LOVE my 62mm on my stock motor but IF I had more motor I would need more turbo.
I agree. Well said.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea red i know what you are saying about maxing at hp levels, i just didnt state that well. it really maxes out more in terms of airflow volume, but thats what we were both getting at getting at with what we said. i want to flow more air through the motor so i can make that amount of power with less boost. my line of thinking here is that a slightly undersized turbo will meet my power goals with excellent response/spool and get it done on low boost and pump gas. thats how you build a daily driver street turbo car imho. sc98gt's car is proof of that. i would love for you to post or pm me your dyno sheet. what are you using for heads/cam/intake? i assume a better flowing hci combo with the same size shortblock will have a similar effect on the turbo as going to a larger motor: similar or more power with less boost. this is both good and the goal. im hoping to see some more similar cars post either combos or graphs soon. i just cant bring myself to buy a boss block and then build only a 302/306 out of it.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
yep.. I think its like 600 lbs/min or close to it..

you allready have the turbo, and its really not that hard to swap one out if you dont like it. lol

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i like that graph. i bet thats a fun car. do you have anything done to the heads? what turbine/housing is it? anyone else got anything like this?

·
Registered
45 Posts
The car is a blast to drive. The power is very smooth. No crazy turbo lag then big shot of power when the turbo spools. And there is tons more power in there if I trusted the block could handle it. My heads have very little work done to them, but they are port matched. The Turbo has a 0.96 AR turbine.

·
Registered
388 Posts
i see what your saying i run a 70mm with a stock bottom end between 13 to 15 pounds depends on gas and that dam thing comes in pretty strong thank god for having a car that goes straight

·
Registered
352 Posts
I run a Bullseye 80mm turbo on my 331, love it for an everyday driver. Full boost around 4000, but when do I need gobs of power before that? I'd say go up a bit! A good 70-72mm turbo isn't very expensive, and you can never have too much power.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts