Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anybody has the KB Extreme Matrix subs on their car, can you tell me if it was necessary to remove the rocker panel trim before they welded the jacking rails?

The KB intructions recommends it be removed do to heat.
I need to get my subs installed soon and am thinking of just having the super subs installed and leaving the jacking rails and matrix brace for some other time.

Can't find a installer that is familiar with the KB set-up and don't want anybody to experiment on my car.

Input from Michigan Stangers would be much a appreciated.:D

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Quite honestly give them a call and ask for Mike, he's a sales guy and in our club here in Indy. Ask him to personally verify that this is necessary or not. Tell him that it is your intention to sing the praises of Kenny Brown after the install, well if it goes well you will. hehe

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yeah, I had Kenny do my subframes. They guys there are really nice and invited me to join them at some local hangouts. I just live an hour away from his shop. The subframes are pretty straight forward on where they need to be welded on the car. They weld on both ends and have two bolts in the middle for extra support. I noticed a huge difference in the car!! It was worth every penny for them. The best way I can describe it is that ever time you hit a bump or turn sharp and the car shakes or flexes, well it gets rid of 50% of that. It makes you feel much more comfortable driving your car around everyday and not feel like your beating the **** out of it. I do plan on the extreme matrix eventually also, I'm just ready to spend money on horsepower and lay off the suspension fund for a bit :)

·
Registered
456 Posts
I put the full KB matrix system on my 98 Cobra and after was told that the jacking rails weren't needed due to having good jacking areas on the mustangs. This was just added weight I was told, has anyone else heard of this?:confused:

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
I have to admit that I find it hard to believe that EVERY car needs jacking rails. I understand their function and truthfully believe in the whole KB product line with the exception to jacking rails. From what I was told, by a big dog @ KB, is that the J/R's are used for lowered cars so we can get a jack under them with out damaging the body rail. This will keep us from hunting for a good jack point.
I guess your definition of a good jack point is in question. Also, how many times have you jacked your car up? I mean that's what they're for right? Did you use the jack rail or another part of the car?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I got the Extreme matrix kit installed by the people at Kenny Brown, I watched the install and they did not remove the rocker panel trim. I like the kit, and it is still on sale, not the $110 off installed that I got it for but now down to $80 off installed, brings total cost of eveything to $500, if you want it done right you might want to think about just road tripping to Kenny Brown for a day, install only took about 2 hours total, you can see their 5.0 V6 club racer while you are there, pretty badass.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LByellowStang said:
I got the Extreme matrix kit installed by the people at Kenny Brown, I watched the install and they did not remove the rocker panel trim. I like the kit, and it is still on sale, not the $110 off installed that I got it for but now down to $80 off installed, brings total cost of eveything to $500, if you want it done right you might want to think about just road tripping to Kenny Brown for a day, install only took about 2 hours total, you can see their 5.0 V6 club racer while you are there, pretty badass.
You know what, I was thinking the exact same thing about making a road trip and having it done right!!

It's probably a 5 hour trip, I'm just outside Detroit.

Do you know if they do installs on the weekends?

Are they actually located inside the track?

Probably going to have to wait till after the Indy 500 then.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
I had the subs already in and just got the jacking rails and extreme matrix braces. I really don't see how you could put the extreme matrix braces in unless you had the jacking rails installed-the EMBs tie into the JRs. The JR's IMHO really help stiffen the chassis. There was absolutely no way we could have welded the JRs on without taking off the rocker panel moldings, that is if we didn't want to melt the moldings. The plastic moldings actually are in contact with the same area you have to weld. If KB did it without removing them, I don't know how they did it without melting part of the plastic. You could prolly get away with just removing the lower fasteners and hoding it out of the way, but you'd have trouble lining up the clip holes (on the JRs and car). We ended up taking the whole thing off. That was the biggest PITA of the install. You end up ruining all the clips, even with the molding remover tool. The upper clips I found are like $0.52 each-you need like 16 of them. The lower pins are over $1 each-you can only get them from Ford. I ended up just using nuts and bolts on the lower part.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I use the jacking rails every week when I bolt on the drag radials.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
lou'sblk01gt said:

You know what, I was thinking the exact same thing about making a road trip and having it done right!!

It's probably a 5 hour trip, I'm just outside Detroit.

Do you know if they do installs on the weekends?

Are they actually located inside the track?

Probably going to have to wait till after the Indy 500 then.
It is located a good 3-5 miles from the track it isn't very close to it. I think they have limited hours on saturdays for installs but i could be wrong, either way call and make an appointment soon, they are usually very busy.

·
Registered
554 Posts
You do have to undo the kick panels under the car and keep them pushed away from the area you are working but there is no reason to remove them completly. We just used a block of wood to keep the molding away from the frame while welding and grinding. You can use the matrix braces without installing the jack rails. the braces tie the subframes and jacking rails together.

Anyone qualified to install subframes can handle installing the KB kit. It does take some additional labor time so expect to pay for it over a standard subframe install.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts