Ford Mustang Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my old Vobra bit the dust after 50k hard-ass supercharged miles!
I was driving home yesterday when I thought I saw a wisp of smoke, Pulled it into 4th, got in the throttle "POW"!! instant James Bond mobile. Oh well, thats life in the supercharged city! Hey, maybe that what they mean by "blown" (Blown-up)

D-cel

·
Registered
11 Posts
man, that's a real bummer...any word on what the damage is? Where you on 101 when it happened?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sam,
No word, It will sit until after the holidays, then Ill tear it down. Yes, I was on the 101, going up the grade from Camarillo towards Thousand Oaks when I did my best crop duster impersonation.
I must give my wife credit, she took the news better than I expected, (she left no big bruises)

D-cel

·
Registered
439 Posts
D-cel,

Bad luck mate. Would you mind giving us some details of what your set up was?

Boost levels, tuning, fuel pump, injectors etc etc etc.

Thanks

Anthony

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Sorry to hear. I think I was lucky when I blew mine to be at the track with a friend who had a trailer. I'd hate to think of how'd much more of a pain it would have been to blow up driving down the road somewhere.

Good luck!

Tom Crews

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow, it just went with no warning huh? Do you think it's a rod or piston? Both now probably huh? :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear it. What are your mods?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is (was) stock block and vortech kit accept for a power pipe.
It made 10 psi from the day a bolted on in Oct. of 98. It had 8k then and has 58k as of yesterady. It was never on a dyno, but it ran 12.90 @ 113 with stock gears, stock tires and my 290 lbs ass in the seat.
I must say that I am impressed with how much abuse that little motor took. To say I dove the piss out of it would be a gross understatement. It saw redline in 1st, 2nd and 3rd everyday I drove it. I would be affraid to count how many times it bounced off the rev limiter, I cant complain to loud.
I was able to drive it home, it still made power just smokes, ALOT!

Warning signs, in retrospect, yes, slight tapping at cold start up and internitant idle bobble/miss.

Mods: light weight racing piston (at least one)
Vortech, (Best mod buy far)
power pipe, (no boost gain, but nicer than the stock tubing)
BBK cat H, (Required major rework to fit properly and not leak)
Dynomax bullets w/turndowns,(Very loud, but light & simple)
TKO, (Notchy but worth it)
Center force
Alum driveshaft
Auburn Pro w/4.10 (Next time 4.30)
Torque arm/Panhard bar w/ DA Konis coilovers (second best mod)
Full length subframe con
18x8 275-35
18x10 325-30
Wilwood SL6 brake kit , "D" pads & ducts

D-cel

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sorry to here that Jason. Guess it's time for bullitproof internals.

·
Registered
108 Posts
That's what you get for:

1) "Driving the piss out of it" every day. :rolleyes:
2) Never getting a dyno tune :rolleyes:

Ever hear the phrase "With more horsepower comes more responsibility"?

Have fun without a Mustang. :cool:

·
Registered
439 Posts
I take back the "bad luck mate " bit. :)

I will also supercharge soon but I don't my donk to meltdown

·
Registered
726 Posts
DCLER8TOR,

Were you still using the Superchip that came with the Vortech kit?

CRI98GT,

STFU

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LaMar,
Whats up! How are those stoppers working for you?
Im researching my options and if I do rebulild (vs sell the car less motor) I going to use a stock short block. Based on what I read here, and hear from friends, the longevity just doesnt justify the forged internal cost. But you never know, if the write deal comes along....
If you need anything, give me a call

Cri98GT,
It sounds like you woke up on the wrong side of a male prostitute.
I wasnt looking for sympathy in my post, just sharing infomation, adding to the collective expieriences of this forum. The goal is that someone (even you) could benifit from my expireince.
Does it sound like I regret how I drove? I built the car to drive hard and I did.
I got 50k great miles out of that motor with the stock chip.
We have all read about many "Dyno tunes" that have had shorter life spans. Could it have lasted longer? Maybe.
Could it have made more power? Certainly, at what cost to longevity?
"Have fun without a mustang"
Cough! (dck) Cough! (a$$ole)
I also have a 2000 GT, but thanks for caring

D-cel

·
Registered
67 Posts
DCELR8TOR said:
LaMar,
Whats up! How are those stoppers working for you?
Im researching my options and if I do rebulild (vs sell the car less motor) I going to use a stock short block. Based on what I read here, and hear from friends, the longevity just doesnt justify the forged internal cost. But you never know, if the write deal comes along....
If you need anything, give me a call

Cri98GT,
It sounds like you woke up on the wrong side of a male prostitute.
I wasnt looking for sympathy in my post, just sharing infomation, adding to the collective expieriences of this forum. The goal is that someone (even you) could benifit from my expireince.
Does it sound like I regret how I drove? I built the car to drive hard and I did.
I got 50k great miles out of that motor with the stock chip.
We have all read about many "Dyno tunes" that have had shorter life spans. Could it have lasted longer? Maybe.
Could it have made more power? Certainly, at what cost to longevity?
"Have fun without a mustang"
Cough! (dck) Cough! (a$$ole)
I also have a 2000 GT, but thanks for caring

D-cel
Ooouch:rolleyes:

The brakes are great. They've probably saved me life a few times so no complaints.:D

I'll added some more goodies since then and am soon going to be force feed. Can't wait!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Good info.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Cri98GT said:
That's what you get for:

1) "Driving the piss out of it" every day. :rolleyes:
2) Never getting a dyno tune :rolleyes:

Ever hear the phrase "With more horsepower comes more responsibility"?

Have fun without a Mustang. :cool:
what kind of chicken **** post is that?! :rolleyes:

is there some kind of history between the two of you we're not aware of?

·
Registered
313 Posts
I think your attitude is admirable. I was bummed when I toasted my problematic T45, but my fellow Mustang freaks saw the glass ½ full. They helped me with the install of a new 3550 and we had a good laugh and a couple beers while swapping it out, and the car is much better for it. It sucks that your motor (possibly) blew up on you and we all have to remember that it can happen to any of us at any time. And yes the "have fun.." comment is way uncalled for.

LOL at the "(she left no big bruises)" comment. My wife was surprisingly cool about my mishaps as well.

Good luck
Marty

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.