Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father just got himself a fox coupe which just finished undergoing a 4-cyl conversion. Mods included 3.55 rear gears, brand new full exhaust setup incl headers, 93 motor/trans, motor just rebuilt, edelbrock performer intake, f-303 cam, cold air kit, b&m shifter, pullies etc.

And stock 4-cyl front brakes, these things are really bad.

Purchasing a vehicle like this was rather inviting as the chassis hasn't been subjected to torsions that the 5.0L makes yet. It also has all the basic bolt-ons one would go through...

As this is my third mustang project, I decided to focus on the mods I wished I had done first with my other cars, so I picked up a complete rear end, and front k-member with everything attached, and a master cylinder/porportioning valve from a 95 gt auto (3.27:1 gears)

How well does the stock sn95 brakes perform on a fox ? I assume the rotors are 12.5" in the front ? What further upgrades should be done to the brakes ?

·
Registered
23,054 Posts
Back 1998 i put the entire suspension sans k-member from a 95 Cobra into my 88GT. I followed the steps from the frpp conversion (install instructions)about the shuttle valve. Converted to a 5-piece SS brake line kit. Had to use the m-179 wheels with 6.42" BS(wanted 9" wheels). It worked very well. I would assume it would be marginally better than the GT setup but still worlds better than the stock fox brakes.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Go with the all wheel disc. Night and day difference. I have a rear end from a 98 and 94-95 spindles with 03 cobra brakes on the front on my 89 coupe. Lots of confindence now. The old brakes were downright scary and VERY easy to ruin after high speed sprints. Granted I had cheap pads.

I had a 93 coupe I used to terrorize mountain roads in northern Georgia. It had stok brake, a fair suspension, and a modestly built motor. I would have to make many stops to let the brakes cool. I would lose nearly all pedal pressure making the trips more dangerous than fun. I wish I had put more money into the brakes on that car. Those trips would have been twice as fun.

I auto-x my 89 now, and these brakes are amazing. Supersize em, buddy. You will never regret it. I purchased the Cobra fronts from a fellow corraler. I paid like $350 for everything needed. Worth every penny.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts