Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I am new to the turbo world,I just picked me up a 90 5.0vert with a 44mm turbo,Car pulls good up top.My questions are the car is bone stock except for the turbo.I have a set of GT40 heads & cobra intake with 65mm TB just sitting in my garage.I was wondering what the car would pick up if I installed these heads and intake.The car has a FMU on it now,would I go lean if I install the heads & intake?if I swap to a 24# injector can I get rid of the FMU and just get a tune??I don't have the extra money for a new turbo or alum.heads and so forth.Just wanting to see if I could use the parts I have lying around??Thanks,
what kind of power do you think the heads & intake are worth if I can use them?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I figured there would be at least one reply.????? any #s I can call for some tech tips??Thanks guys.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Hey guys I am new to the turbo world,I just picked me up a 90 5.0vert with a 44mm turbo,Car pulls good up top.My questions are the car is bone stock except for the turbo.I have a set of GT40 heads & cobra intake with 65mm TB just sitting in my garage.I was wondering what the car would pick up if I installed these heads and intake.The car has a FMU on it now,would I go lean if I install the heads & intake?if I swap to a 24# injector can I get rid of the FMU and just get a tune??I don't have the extra money for a new turbo or alum.heads and so forth.Just wanting to see if I could use the parts I have lying around??Thanks,
what kind of power do you think the heads & intake are worth if I can use them?
There really is no way to know for sure if you’re going to be safe with your current FMU….even if you know your AFR’s. The correct way to go would be to pick up something along the line of 42lb injectors (24lb’ers are far too small) along with perhaps a lightning MAF (or a matching pro-m) meter and a tune. The gt40 heads & intake are probably worth a good 50rwhp over the stockers (at the same boost level)….just be sure the valve springs are up to snuff if the heads came off of anything besides a mustang.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Ok if you switch to heads intake and cam setup i would atleast go with 42lb injectors because the 24lb will not be enough. When you do that i would suggest getting a tune or switching to a standalone setup such as MEGASQUIRT.

As far as a power gain you will get get one after adding H/I/C to your turbo setup.

What kit is on the car?

hope this helps

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i just saw that ...that is pretty damn small are you sure its 44mm

Yes its a 44mm,At least thats what I was told when I bought the car.Its a turbonetics turbo,puts out 5#s of boost.has a FMU the motor is bone stock.I was thinking just put the heads and intake on with a 65MM TB and get a tune???How does that sound.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I am not mistaken but the FMU hasto be readjusted also right???I think the 24s would be perfect...Since it is a small turbo..Any advise would be great.Thanks

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
24's and correct fmu is enough injector. with a tune and no fmu 24's will be close on a stock motor and 5psi.
Thanks,I will just shoot for installing the heads and intake and 24#injectors then get a dyno tune for the car.We will see what happens from there.Thanks for the replys guys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts