Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im just getting into racing. my ? is, when i lauch from first, do i just put the clutch or should i let it up like how i do when im just driving. either 1 i try, i still manage to get the tires spinning and cant get a good launch. im just trying to figure out wat the best way to do it is

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Sounds like you are posting in the wrong forums. When I ran, autocross (which this is the road racing/autocross forum, not "street racing" or drag racing), I typically dont get the chance to get a good launch in. There would usually be a right hand turn coming right out of the first timing gate. So to answer your question, yes I tend to let the clutch out similar to normal driving as popping the clutch would result in some cone killing.

·
Registered
67 Posts
When I race Autocross I use a 1500 clutch slip on street tires. You want enough to get out of the start box without bogging down but not to much to where you burn the tires down. You will have to do some practicing before race day.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Oktavius said:
Sounds like you are posting in the wrong forums. When I ran, autocross (which this is the road racing/autocross forum, not "street racing" or drag racing), I typically dont get the chance to get a good launch in. There would usually be a right hand turn coming right out of the first timing gate. So to answer your question, yes I tend to let the clutch out similar to normal driving as popping the clutch would result in some cone killing.
I went to an autocross event today and they had a 300 ft straight away at the start.

·
Registered
391 Posts
300 ft!!! That would give you time to get that turbo spooled!

My experience, I usually launch at 2500 to 3000 on good street tires with a little spin, then feather the throttle to get it under control. We too have a sweeping lefty about 40ft from the start box. I have seen a few dump and burn, but they generally go through tires very quickly.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I launch in 2nd gear with the line-lock on and with the two-step at 8400rpms. Usually pulls the wheels up, but they land before first gate so you can make the turn.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
2k2GT said:
I launch in 2nd gear with the line-lock on and with the two-step at 8400rpms. Usually pulls the wheels up, but they land before first gate so you can make the turn.
Plus you get the advantage of tripping the start lights with your REAR tires so you get about a 10-foot advantage on your times when you trip the finish with your fronts.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
MFE said:
Plus you get the advantage of tripping the start lights with your REAR tires so you get about a 10-foot advantage on your times when you trip the finish with your fronts.
Everybody has a secret................you busted my cherry on mine. :curses: :pain:

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
easterisland said:
Weeeeell, I'll be damned!! THats from the www.trscca.com region! That's Dan Chadwick running that C4 Vette! Those guys always put on a good show and the lot is great up there.

My buddies were ribbin' me today because I chose not to go up there because of "weather issues". My guessing couldn't have been more wrong so they tell me. They told me the course was a real big "horsepower course", and now I see why, that does look fun! I'm normally about a second or so behind that damn BSP C4. :curses:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts