Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to let all of you turbo vets know before hand, I have done some research on what is needed and have a good idea for what I need I just want to get everything all ready before I begin the install.

First off, I got a Cartech Street Sleeper kit for a helluva a good deal so that was the kit that I went with.

Along with all the stuff that comes with the kit I also am getting the following,

HKS Wastegate
36 lb injectors
Pro-M MAF for the injectors
MSD 6A box
Fuel pressure regulator

I am not planning on running the car above 6 to 7 lbs of boost. The car that it is going in is the one thats in my sig.

The questions that I have are,

Will the 36 lb'rs going to be enough for my goal?
Should I get a 255lph fuel pump to be safe?
And lastly, what else other then a A/F and boost gauge (which I am getting with the kit) would you guys recommend me getting for the kit.

I don't a tuner or such so I am going to keep the boost low to be safe until spring.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So with the FMU and the 36's I shouldn't need to replace the fuel pump.

With a tune and 36's the 255lph pump would be needed with raised FP.

That makes sense I think.

·
Registered
300 Posts
What are your HP goals? I'm shooting for 400whp with my car, and got a set of 42lb injectors, and a 255lph HP Walbro. The regular pump is not ideal for boosted applications. I also got a PMAS 3" blow through MAF with my kit. I haven't fired the car up yet, but everything I've read about them, and heard from my tuner has been positive. You should be okay with that MAF calibrated to the injectors you're running. If you do that, and you'll be using the stock fuel rails and lines, you shouldn't need to worry about a regulator. You would probably start maxing out 36lb injectors once you start approaching 500 whp. So, if you plan on staying well below that, you should be fine.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My goal is to be around 400 whp while running the minimum amount of boost to get there.

As of right now I am unsure as to the size of the MAF that I am getting with the kit. Although the person that I am getting the kit from purchased it with the same goals in mind for his car as I am shooting for with mine.

I am thinking that since I am going to be doing the install I might as well put a 255 lph pump in just to be safe. I am not going to gamble with my engine running lean and then having detonation and everything that goes with it.

As for the regulator, it is coming with the kit so I might as well put it on because I will already have the upper off and the rails un-bolted to switch the injectors.

I guess I might as well order a rail FP gauge while I'm at it just know whats going on too.

Thanks for the info, its greatly appreciated

·
Registered
300 Posts
Well, if the stuff is coming with the kit, it's a no brainer to put it in. Yes, the pump is definitely needed. The stock pump probably won't be up to the task of feeding more HP, and fighting boost.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright.

I got the 255 pump and the 60lb injectors on the way.

I'm still waiting on a few more parts from the seller and then I'll begin the dis-assembly and get the car ready for the assembly portion.

I also need to get a baseline chip from the local tuner so I don't blow up the car when I start it the first time.

Can anyone out there think of anything else that I might need?

Thanks

·
Registered
407 Posts
If it does idle, it'll look like a diesel.

It should run good enough to drag it to your tuner, or get a start up chip if that's possible.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
IF its not too late make sure the 255 is a High Pressure pump and not just the regular 255. it flows more at higher pressures where the reg 255 flows less at higher pressures.

I run the 255 hp, 42s and a PMAS pro tube maf on a stock motor. I strongly suggest the PMAS meter IF at all possible. I started mine right up, idled great and runs great with no tune. NO other maf could do that. MIGHT not have as good of luck running 60s but the quality of their meters it would NOT supprise me if it was all good.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, luckily for me I was planning on ordering the pump and a few other small items last week but didn't get around to it.

I will look into the high pressure pump, for the sake of fuel and doing it once and not having to worry about it, it should be worth the extra bucks.

As for the MAF, the one that I got with the kit is a 75mm Pro-Flow unit calibrated for the 36lb injectors that came with the kit. I can't really make up my mind as to which MAF to get since I have dealt with the Pro-Flow ones before and didn't really like them.

I'm either going to go with a lighting MAF or maybe one of the SCT one's. Which ever one will be more consistent.

The thing is that I am not planning on putting the kit on the car until next spring due to the fact that my 4runner doesn't run right now. So acquiring the necessary parts will be happening over the winter.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I'm either going to go with a lighting MAF or maybe one of the SCT one's. Which ever one will be more consistent.
I bought my pump here for $89. BEST deal I could find.. its the GSS340

http://www.jdsperformance.com/index.asp?initemuid=436&fcmd=item&inmake=0

The SCT maf would be better then the lighting but both will HAVE to be tuned. Without a tune neither will run/start. Thats why I got the PMAS maf it was plug and play.

I got the maf and the pump from the same place.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
nice, thanks for the link I will definitely be getting the pump from them. Especially since it actually cost less then the regular pump from summit.

Here's the problem that I have now.

I got the exhaust housing today from B&G turbo. BUT, I was supposed to get a T4 housing with a .81 A/R. INSTEAD I got a T4 housing with a .96 A/R. I know that the bigger the A/R the more pressure / time it is going to take for the turbo to spool up to the desired level.

How much difference will it actually make in drivability with the larger housing? I am only running the single turbo with a stock long block so I would figure that it would make it less desirable but I wonder how much less then the .81 A/R?

That is my dilemma now.

·
Registered
407 Posts
You will be fine with a .96 a/r.

fwiw- I just switched to a SCT2600 maf. My plastic Mach 1 maf blew apart. Point is, buy a metal one whether its pmass or sct.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well that is good to hear. Thanks.

Bummer about your maf.

I think that I will go with the 3" blow thru one that pmas has. I'm sure that it will be better then the pro-flow one that it came with and not to mention I can get it all done up for the 60lb squirters that I am going to use.

And its metal too. :)

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Well that is good to hear. Thanks.

Bummer about your maf.

I think that I will go with the 3" blow thru one that pmas has. I'm sure that it will be better then the pro-flow one that it came with and not to mention I can get it all done up for the 60lb squirters that I am going to use.

And its metal too. :)

Thats the EXACT maf I use and LOVE it. works great!!

The .96 will be fine but Brian at B&G is a real good guy he would prolly swap you for the one you want.. Not sure the size turbo you useing but my 62-1 is nice with .81 on it. I almost want to swap to a .69 just to try it but I just think it would be too small IF I ever upgrade, head/intake.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I am going to be running a 64mm turbo. a T64 i believe. The turbo doesn't say a manufacturer on it. It took a while to get the housing from Brian so if it will work fine then that's what I will use.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts