Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just got a built C4 from Jay at Broader Performance for my 88LX foxbody. This is the first time I have dealt with him and he seems like a pretty stand up guy. Anyways, my car weighs about 2900lbs with me in it. It has a single turbo on it with a bone stock 5.0 in it. car makes [email protected] and [email protected] car went [email protected] with a DA of over 5000ft. My problem is the trans break goes up to 4k at the line. I think thats a little high. I was thinking a 2500 would be better with my motor setup. Also, it seems I'm getting a lot of converter slip, everytime I shift the car doesn't go below 4500 and it feels like its not moving down the track like it was with the stock converter. But, It still trapped the same with the stock AOD and converter. I thought that was strange. It is also crossing the traps at 6k which is higher than with my stock AOD and I put 28 tall tires on this time. I ran 26s with the AOD. Lastly, the tranny temp goes through the roof just driving around town for 10 min. Like 210. At the track on the T brake it would get to 240 at the end of the track. I talked to Jay at Broader and he is going to build me a 12inch converter that will stall at 2500-3k, so he is taking care of me. So what are all you turbo guys running in your C4's? Should I do this 12inch converter or is there something else I need to get the right stall and the temp down.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
You made that power with the stock trans in though right?

Cause that would be insanely high through an unlocked c4.....

You could probably tighten up the converter and pick up some MPH

·
Registered
299 Posts
Ideally you leave at your peak torque. 2500 is to low IMO. I would shoot for 2800 or 3000 stall in a 10"

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I made that power with the stock AOD. I was told that you want the stall to be 500rpm less than peak TQ. I was also told there was no way to get the trans brake below 3000 in a 10inch converter. That why my builder said he would have to go to a 12inch. But im not sure on that stuff so any input would be great.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Like the doctor get a second opinion from a different builder. I would recommend dynamic converters. Frank lupo is a legend in automatic transmissions. Before he built me a converter I never truely experience how it should feel until I got his product in the car. You can call and ask what they would recommend and ask what ever questions you need answered.

Dynamic Converters // Pro-Formance Transmissions

·
Registered
353 Posts
Jay Built the 4R that is in my 98 gt. I just sent my conv back to him to be tightened up i was seeing 5k on my brake before i let off lol. Im running a 10inch (that i had already) from Precision Industries. He was going to mess with it some and see what we could do but said i might need to change conv as well. So we will see. I do like him though stand up guy always honest and doesn’t bull#### ya. tells it like it is.

I went 10.88 at 121 on a 1.45 60foot with 10lbs on my 98 gt. It made 450hp and 442 tq on 10lbs. calculated it out to around 26% slip. so hopefully when it comes back it will be better. If not i will prob call up PTC.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jay Built the 4R that is in my 98 gt. I just sent my conv back to him to be tightened up i was seeing 5k on my brake before i let off lol. Im running a 10inch (that i had already) from Precision Industries. He was going to mess with it some and see what we could do but said i might need to change conv as well. So we will see. I do like him though stand up guy always honest and doesn’t bull#### ya. tells it like it is.

I went 10.88 at 121 on a 1.45 60foot with 10lbs on my 98 gt. It made 450hp and 442 tq on 10lbs. calculated it out to around 26% slip. so hopefully when it comes back it will be better. If not i will prob call up PTC.
Cool man, Jay told me about yours the other day. What are you wanting it to stall at on the brake?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Would a 12inch converter have a draw backs compared to the 10. My tranny builder says he can't get a 10 to stall lower than like 3200-3500 on a T brake. So I would need a 12 to stall lower. How do you calculate the slip?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Cool man, Jay told me about yours the other day. What are you wanting it to stall at on the brake?

Lol same here he was talling ame about yours.

i want to be around 4-4500 at the most. he said he will do his best to get it close but isnt sure if he can do that without building a new conv. Talked to him today and he said he is building a new pump and doing a new stator for it so holpefully that will make a nice change. Im not sure what it maxed out at on the brake before so hoping to get closer with these adjustments. If not just going to run it through the yr and then probably call PTC and have them build me one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts