Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys/Gals,
I just picked up a 2000 GT and was wondering what, if any, problems are there with this year GT. The car only had 4855 miles on the odometer (was a repo and a salesman drove it for a bit) and it seems to run great with no problems. I was able to look at a copy of consumer reports and they didn't rate it too good but they didn't really say why or what were the major problems with it. Anybody who has this year let me know if you've had any problems yet.

Thanks Bill

·
Registered
401 Posts
I had the following problems:
1)Clutch making noise because of the bearing ( fixed under warranty)
2) Car popped out of 4th ( fixed under warranty)
3) Differential seal leak( fixed under warranty)

All were fixed easily in less than a day, no biggie! Engine runs amazing, but you should definetaly get an aftermarket shifter cause the one in the car is horrible! OH YEAH, don't forget the Gears and Exhaust:D , it makes the car come alive!

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys, mines a auto tranny so it seems like a couple of the problems stem from the standard transmissions.

Bill

·
Registered
19 Posts
Trannies

Are the trannies in the '96 GT (5 spd) the same used as today? What i'm wondering is, can the 96 GT tranny hold up to any abuse, or is it junk? Just wondering....What shifters are best for the 96's?

Matt

·
Registered
468 Posts
I had my driver side seatbelt replaced at about 20k. :)
It went bad again at 30k.

Throw-out bearing was replaced at 16k.

56k right now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The only problems that I've been had with my 2k GT have been related to the semi tractor, the Porsche 911 and the 2 taxicabs that hit me. For a $20k car with $25k of damage repair, it runs surprisingly well. There's a nasty cracking noise when I back up or leave my driveway, but that's about it.. With only 5000 miles on the car, the engine is just starting to loosen up.

I've ground a few gears going into 3rd and 5th, so a new shifter is in my future. The original one didn't start off too bad, but it's starting to feel rubbery.

·
Registered
468 Posts
The only problems that I've been had with my 2k GT have been related to the semi tractor, the Porsche 911 and the 2 taxicabs that hit me.
Whoa! :eek: Sounds like you had a really bad day!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've got a 2000 GT with 20K miles on it. Look for these common problems:
Throw out bearing quealing (dealer may give you trouble with this one as they "don't hear it" which is compeletely BS.

Car randomly stalling at stop signs/lights when cold.(check service bulletin)

If you lower it, E-brake lines emmit loud squeal as rust builds up.

General transmission problems on manual.

*These are problems that many people have complained about on this board over the last couple of years.

Otherwise, enjoy patronizing rice burners of all shapes and sizes.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Some early 2000 GT's had a problem with a severe vibration in the clutch pedal. This was caused by a warped flywheel from the factory.

I took mine back to the dealer and they replaced the flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and TOB. No charge

It is a TSB, effectively a silent recall, they wont tell you unless you know about it.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
i have an 01 and have had tons of problems with it. Still fighting with Ford over getting it replaced. If u really are interested in it pm or email me and ill let u know.....im a very unsatisfied customer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts